Looking to adopt a Sulcata

Haniemiec

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Fl
Hi everyone! So my husband and 7 year old have been doing tons of research about tortoises. We currently have 2 rescue pups, a leopard gecko, and a white belly tree frog. I would have never thought of myself as a reptile/amphibian momma, but I really do adore them!
We would really like to rescue a Sulcata! I know there are probably many of them that their owners have surrendered.
Please if you know of any in the Jacksonville, FL (or surrounding areas) please let me know. Thanks!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Two words:
Craig's List
Post a wanted ad on your local CRAIGSLIST and do your research here on the forum to get your enclosure set up perfectly while you wait for one to pop up.
Then remain here as a member.
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone! So my husband and 7 year old have been doing tons of research about tortoises. We currently have 2 rescue pups, a leopard gecko, and a white belly tree frog. I would have never thought of myself as a reptile/amphibian momma, but I really do adore them!
We would really like to rescue a Sulcata! I know there are probably many of them that their owners have surrendered.
Please if you know of any in the Jacksonville, FL (or surrounding areas) please let me know. Thanks!!
Hello and welcome.

I agree with ZP. Get your enclosure set up, tested, and running, BEFORE you bring home the tortoise.

You'll need a heated night box, and its best to start growing all sorts of food ASAP.

Here is what the night box looks like. You can make one half this size for a single Sulcata:

The bulk of the diet for an adult can be fresh grass, or grass hay. Use orchard grass hay, or Bermuda grass hay, not Timothy, not alfalfa. Here is more info on feeding:

Questions are welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Because sulcatas are destroyers of yards, it's a good idea to get the grass growing well BEFORE you put the shelled cow on it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
There was just a thread about someone wanting to rehome 2 sulcata's. I will try to find it.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hello and welcome.

I agree with ZP. Get your enclosure set up, tested, and running, BEFORE you bring home the tortoise.

You'll need a heated night box, and its best to start growing all sorts of food ASAP.

Here is what the night box looks like. You can make one half this size for a single Sulcata:

The bulk of the diet for an adult can be fresh grass, or grass hay. Use orchard grass hay, or Bermuda grass hay, not Timothy, not alfalfa. Here is more info on feeding:

Questions are welcome.
Tom, I just want you to know that you are always on the ball to help. You do not hesitate to give newcomers to this Forum all the information to help rise their tortoise correctly. You deserve a Trophy for all you help, don't know how to give you one but you deserve it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I just want you to know that you are always on the ball to help. You do not hesitate to give newcomers to this Forum all the information to help rise their tortoise correctly. You deserve a Trophy for all you help, don't know how to give you one but you deserve it.
Thank you.