Looking for Indian Star Tortoise

sullygirl85

Location (City and/or State)
APG, Maryland
Hello everyone! I am the proud owner of a sulcata hatching and a redfoot hatching. Although the red foot is growing in leaps and bounds while the sulcata i got from a not reputable breeder and she is not doing as well as I would hope. I have set up her enclosure ridiculously well. With temperature control, the best lamps you can buy *strip not coil* and I even have grass from tortoise supply in there for her to graze on while she eats some mazuri and spring mix as well. I cannot get her weight to go above 42 grams. ITS KILLING ME. Anyway. Now that my husband and I have the hang of the tortoise biz, we really would like to adopt one more into our family and that would be an indian star tortoise. There is no need for it to be a hatchling, although I would love one, but if its bigger thats ok too. I am located in maryland and willing to pay or travel to pick him or her up :). Please, if anyone knows a great breeder that would love to make a girls dream come true, I would be so grateful! Thank you all for even taking the time to read this!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the breeders section here on the forum. I don't know much about this species, except they are rare, and I am assuming pretty expensive. You also may need special permits to own the species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know that @Neal get some babies from his stars each year. Its worth checking.

No special permits needed for any of the star tortoise varieties. Only radiata and Galapagos tortoises need a CBW to be sold across state lines.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Stars don't produce in massive amounts like sulcatas or leopards, so they're few and far between depending on the season. Mine hatch out in the early spring and are almost always spoken for before hatching.

This year I hope to have more breedable females, so there's a better chance I will have something available next spring...a long ways to wait though.