Looking for help

Jennamilligan

Location (City and/or State)
ARMISSAN
I found à tortoise outside m'y front door on thé pavement (i live in France).
I have tried Hunting for information, i have found out what they should est.... But she doesnt want to eat.
Please tell me what i need to do to help her....i do not have agarden

L

LasTortugasNinja

Could be a wild Hermann's tortoise. Could be someone's pet. Pics would help us determine. Might want to put up flyers.

Jennamilligan

ARMISSAN
During lockdown i have been told i Can not put flyers up.... So i Just need to keep him or her alive for thé moment.

IMG_20200428_220429.jpg

Mosin

Us
During lockdown i have been told i Can not put flyers up.... So i Just need to keep him or her alive for thé moment.
I’m not a professional but try maybe to feed the leaves and try and keep heat like 75 again I could be completely wrong just want to help.

L

LasTortugasNinja

endives, radicchio, dandelion greens (all which can be found in many produce stores) would be best while you wait.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Give her a nice warm soaking bath for 20 to 30 minutes, with the water up to her neck. It will rehydrate her and help her cope with stress.

Jennamilligan

ARMISSAN
endives, radicchio, dandelion greens (all which can be found in many produce stores) would be best while you wait.
Ok hopefully she will stay with us until i Can get to thé shop tomorrow. I have tried, Mash, tomateos, appelle, strawberry, i went to thé pet store they sold me thé coco bedding and pellets..... I ll get endives etc tomorrow, what about thé bedding? I have read she needs soil, Can that bé bought? Do i need to dampen it?

L

LasTortugasNinja

It IS night now here, should i wait t'il morning or wake her and do that now?
In the morning is fine. The coco bedding is fine for her. No fruit (including tomatoes), that just upsets her tummy. You can buy her a bag of spring mix salad with endive, radicchio, and kale. That will be a good mix of proper nutrition. If you have access to the countryside where there isn't pesticides or herbicides sprayed, you can collect wild weeds that are best for her.

Jennamilligan

ARMISSAN
In the morning is fine. The coco bedding is fine for her. No fruit (including tomatoes), that just upsets her tummy. You can buy her a bag of spring mix salad with endive, radicchio, and kale. That will be a good mix of proper nutrition. If you have access to the countryside where there isn't pesticides or herbicides sprayed, you can collect wild weeds that are best for her.
I have horses, so yep i Can gather up Weeds from around thé edge of their fields.... Anything i need to watch out for?
Oh no, i will take out thé tomateo and apple thén.... IS thé Mash ok ? I will go to thé reptile place i have now found online tomorrow too, see if i Can get her à proper place to live in thé meantime....i have thé poor thing in a plastic box

L

LasTortugasNinja

I have horses, so yep i Can gather up Weeds from around thé edge of their fields.... Anything i need to watch out for?
Oh no, i will take out thé tomateo and apple thén.... IS thé Mash ok ? I will go to thé reptile place i have now found online tomorrow too, see if i Can get her à proper place to live in thé meantime....i have thé poor thing in a plastic box
If by "mash" you mean purée de pommes de terre, that's not good for them either. As for weeds, most of the things you find in a horse pasture will be fine. thistles, dandelions, clover, mallow, wild mustard, are all good.

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php#.XqiVZW5FxPY for a good list of the foods you should give a tortoise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennamilligan

ARMISSAN

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-04-28-22-51-14-27.png
    Screenshot_2020-04-28-22-51-14-27.png
    947.8 KB · Views: 13

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
you can keep her in a plastic tub with coco coir some hides and a dish for now also try getting it some UVB and UVA if it doesn’t it won’t be able to stimulate her eating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will not eat unless they can warm up. The tortoise needs a basking lamp. Care for Russian tortoises is that same as for hermann's tortoises. You are likely to get bad info and bad products at the pet shop. They generally don't know about correct tortoise care.

Jennamilligan

ARMISSAN
Wow a wild Hermanns! Awesome, and good luck with the care!
I am stuck with thé wow à wild hermanns, if she IS wild should i not just put her Somewhere?
I have never ever Seen à wild tortoise where i live, lived her well over 20 years. (I live in thé south if France, à ten minute drive to thé méditerranéen)

Jennamilligan

ARMISSAN
They will not eat unless they can warm up. The tortoise needs a basking lamp. Care for Russian tortoises is that same as for hermann's tortoises. You are likely to get bad info and bad products at the pet shop. They generally don't know about correct tortoise care.
This has been amazingly helpful. I will go get everything i need to keep her warm.... Just à little confused to thé last comment on m'y post where someone says she IS wild.... If she IS wild should i Just let her go? I have never Seen wild tortoise here before, and she was just on thé pavement infront of my house.

Jennamilligan

ARMISSAN
you can keep her in a plastic tub with coco coir some hides and a dish for now also try getting it some UVB and UVA if it doesn’t it won’t be able to stimulate her eating.
That IS where i have gone wrong, i need both coir and hides....at thé moment i only have hides, as soon as thé shop IS open i will go to thé reptile place.....Yesterday i Just went to thé animal Feed place where i get thé horses food, they didnt have much, not in knowledge or products.