Looking for grape leaves

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Friends!

I would love to find some organic, unsprayed grape leaves to feed to my babies. Does anyone know of someone who might sell them?

I've checked all the local grocery stores without success. They only carry canned ones.

Thank you for any help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would imagine they're seasonal. Finding fresh at this time of year is likely to be a challenge

You could plant a vine and harvest your own next year

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Friends!

I would love to find some organic, unsprayed grape leaves to feed to my babies. Does anyone know of someone who might sell them?

I've checked all the local grocery stores without success. They only carry canned ones.

Thank you for any help!

Unless you know someone in the southern hemisphere, grape leaf time is over for the year. I'm feeding out the quickly degrading remainder of this year's crop right now. I've never seen the leaves offered for sale.

Time to plant your own in the spring time maybe? They do fine in pots too, if need be...

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Try posting an ad on Craigslist in the wanted section! I find lots of free food that way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My grape leafs ar still nice and green. I don't have enough to send you any though, sorry. I just started growing my own a couple years ago and lost one plant. Only have one left.
The Craig's list is a good idea. Someone in your area might have some you can get and even maybe let you cut a started

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I live in California my grape plant is still green and growing try a Middle Eastern Market if you have one nearby you they use them in food

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My grape leafs ar still nice and green. I don't have enough to send you any though, sorry. I just started growing my own a couple years ago and lost one plant. Only have one left.
The Craig's list is a good idea. Someone in your area might have some you can get and even maybe let you cut a started
I'm going to try to grow my own from cuttings from the neighbors grape plants. I know they will grow next spring but I'm going to also try some indoors.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Mine still producing leaves and growing. We have had some very warm weather tho. Suppose to get into the 80s-90s this week again

Kyle

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What is your location?
Mine are still growing like nuts AND my tortoises stopped eating them.
Anyone in south Florida is welcome to come and fill a trash bag with vines, grapes and leaves.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
What is your location?
Anyone in south Florida is welcome to come and fill a trash bag with vines, grapes and leaves.
Thanks for telling me now, of course the airline might've questioned me about taking a trash bag full of leaves home.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
What is your location?

Would LOVE to, but sadly, I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. There are so many wineries all around me, but I'm scared to get caught trying to steal someone's leaves. I've already gotten stares from neighbors as I pick weeds from the side of the road.

I even tried to grow the testudo mix that is recommended on other threads. I ended up bringing fungus gnats into my house and my tort enclosure. Since that lovely incident, I've decided horticulture is not my strong suit.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Would LOVE to, but sadly, I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. There are so many wineries all around me, but I'm scared to get caught trying to steal someone's leaves. I've already gotten stares from neighbors as I pick weeds from the side of the road.

I even tried to grow the testudo mix that is recommended on other threads. I ended up bringing fungus gnats into my house and my tort enclosure. Since that lovely incident, I've decided horticulture is not my strong suit.
Call them, they will most likely let you come and trim them back. I have a place that's local and they told me to come by anytime.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
grape Vines grow like weeds so they're probably happy to have you come by and trim them every so often

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Just be careful they haven't sprayed them with pesticides...

I have, something I've learned on here and that was one of my first questions to them. Their permits and licenses are a for natural winery, which includes all pesticides and growth supplements

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have, something I've learned on here and that was one of my first questions to them. Their permits and licenses are a for natural winery, which includes all pesticides and growth supplements

Good to know. I was directing that more toward Shaif. I know I confused the issue by quoting your post. Sorry about that...

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, I agree. I will call and ask the nearest winery tomorrow. I would imagine there must be some type of pesticide they use here. But I will be very careful. I agree that the best is to grow my own. Insert dramatic sigh.

Craig's list is a great idea too! Will investigate!

Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Call them, they will most likely let you come and trim them back. I have a place that's local and they told me to come by anytime.
I agree. Grape vines need to be cut back regularly.
I'll bet with a little research, you could also locate some wild types growing in Pa.
Here in Florida there are Champagne grapes and Fox grapes growing on a lot of fence lines. The grapes are not very swift, but the leaves are still edible.