Picking First Tortoise! Suggestions?

Bager

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle area, Washington
I really, really want a tortoise. I've been thinking about it for quite sometime now and been doing lots of research.
At the moment I am leaning more towards a Russian Tortoise though I really would like to hear someone elses opinions and insight. Also been looking into Hermman's Tortoise and Greek Tortoises.

Here are some things I have to keep in mind.

-I live near Seattle so we have lots of rain, mud, clouds, and I think it's more
humid out here as well (sorry, don't check the weather much and am not a native).

-He would have to be okay with being indoors for at least most of the day (like at night). I would of course make a tortoise table to the best of my abilities (it actually sounds fun ^^), giving as much space as possible. And maybe when spring/summer comes around I'll be able to make a little, small, mini outdoor enclosure for him (that'd be fun to make too!). Let him have some fun outside in his pen while I work outside to keep an eye on him or something :)

-He'd also have to be small to medium. Smaller being better because that'll mean more room for him inside but mediums would be welcomed too.

-I'd prefer if he was an herbivore, though I'd welcome any omnivores too.

Alright guys, if you can give any suggestions or help at all that would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Russians have great personalities! The thing to watch for them is they are master escape artist! The can climb anything and are pro diggers! Plan for this when building out door enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and just because they're a small species, that doesn't mean a smaller tort table. Russian tortoises require a lot of space to roam. Please DON'T get one of those pre-manufactured tort houses. They just aren't big enough.

Read the care sheets at the top of the Russian, Greek and Hermanni sections and make notes of the type of care they each need. Then, if you think you can provide what they need, go for it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Bager

Seattle area, Washington
Russians have great personalities! The thing to watch for them is they are master escape artist! The can climb anything and are pro diggers! Plan for this when building out door enclosure.

Yes, I've been reading that! It's so funny, you would never think of a turtle climbing up a fence :D I will, thank you.

Bager

Seattle area, Washington
...and just because they're a small species, that doesn't mean a smaller tort table. Russian tortoises require a lot of space to roam. Please DON'T get one of those pre-manufactured tort houses. They just aren't big enough.

Read the care sheets at the top of the Russian, Greek and Hermanni sections and make notes of the type of care they each need. Then, if you think you can provide what they need, go for it!

Oh yes, of course :) I think it would be fun to building your own, you can be sure to cover all his needs and be able to add the extra fun things too! Thank you.

Bager

Seattle area, Washington
Any of the three you mentioned sound like a good match for you. Go big with that table. 4x8' minimum.

Make sure you understand the current lot of indoor UV equipment and use it correctly. Lots of little details to learn and know about that stuff.

Here is some care info that might help you out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Thank you for the links! Yes, I've been doing my research :D I'll be sure to continue though and give myself a checkup once we can start construction on his new table :) I think I'm going to be going with the Russian Tortoise. I found a young one in my area that needs to be rehomed.