Local Grocery Store

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
After reading a suggestion on here, I called our small local grocery store to see if I could get produce that would be thrown away. I set an alarm on my phone to call at 8:30am every day. Today was my first day. Holy cow! The big box is FULL of goodies. Some of it can be eaten by my family of six. I don’t know what qualifies as too bad to sell, but some of this stuff looks fine. We have only one tortoise and after eating his Timothy Hay pile mixed with soaked pellets, I let the kids choose a few things to give him for treats. He had cabbage (rare treat), tomatoes, mushrooms (first time), and iceberg lettuce (I never buy it). Way too much food. My daughter is getting a bearded dragon on Friday. He will get some too. Anything past its prime will go into our composter.

Thanks for the tip!

Attachments

• C706EF34-336F-4E96-9DEF-66A28846CCA7.jpeg
    C706EF34-336F-4E96-9DEF-66A28846CCA7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Ohhh, so now it's time to get another tortoise or two, or five...
If we ever sell our house and get some land, I would LOVE that. We are hunting for one more right now. Rescues aren’t common in Louisiana.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I get a box a week from my local store. I started out daily until I realized how much that equaled.
It's ridiculous the waste in this world. My boxes too have all good stuff in it that anyone of use would eat. Lots of times whole heads of perfect romaine, butter lettuce, ridiculous.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I get a box a week from my local store. I started out daily until I realized how much that equaled.
It's ridiculous the waste in this world. My boxes too have all good stuff in it that anyone of use would eat. Lots of times whole heads of perfect romaine, butter lettuce, ridiculous.
They make fresh salads at ours. My box was half full with the leftover romaine all chopped up. Sweetheart will be so excited tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a friend who is a restaurant owner that lives close by. I get a huge box of romaine trimmings a couple times a week in summer after my weeds have all dried up and died. I mix it with chopped grass hay half and half and the tortoises get a nice treat. Makes for some nice variety between opuntia, mulberry leaf, Mazuri and grape leaf feedings.