lizards for insect control

Status
Not open for further replies.

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vail Colorado
Has anyone tired using a lizard within a tortoise habitat to help control insects? I don't mean an infestation or bugs that result from poor sanitation, I mean just a few stray bugs or so. It seems that when insects wander indoors, they can be attracted to the food and heat that a tortoise habitat or cage provides.

Of course, I don't mean a large aggressive carnivorous lizard, but such species as a gecko or anole or even pygmy chameleons for baby and juveniles tortoises. My main concern is the potential for the spread of parasites or diseases in the pairing of species.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of such an arrangement, even if it is just keeping a tortoise and lizard within the same enclosure as companions or out of a lack of space.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I really am fascinated about these ecosystem-type approaches to reptile keeping. I know that some people on the forum have kept a toad (terry alan hall maybe?) and another kept hermit crabs (madkins? perhaps?) but I haven't heard of a lizard yet. However, it seems like it could be possible.

kimmer

5 Year Member
I hadn't thought of this. There are always wild lizards that are living or visiting my Russian Tortoise outdoor pen. I call them "volunteers". Too bad they don't eat the ants.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
toxodon said:
I have try this idea with a little green anole but my baby redfoot ate him =(. I might try a bigger lizard this time. btw i feed all of my torts very well.

Poor little guy. Note to self, don't use green anoles. Also, I'm assuming that the OP meant the enclosure was like a vivarium or something. If it was an open top tort table, how would you keep the little lizards in?

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
kimmer said:
I hadn't thought of this. There are always wild lizards that are living or visiting my Russian Tortoise outdoor pen. I call them "volunteers". Too bad they don't eat the ants.

Thanks for all your comments, fellow tort-ers. As to the control of ants, I know that horned toads live primarily on a diet of ants -- at least ones in the Southwestern U.S. I've seen captive-bred horned toads sold online.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I do, indeed, have a toad in each outside enclosure, but native Scerloporus ("Fence" or "Spiny") lizards pop in, as well. For desert tortoise fans, these might be a good match!

Sceloporus%20horridusPh1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.