live grass for my sully indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
what kind of edible grass can i plant for my sullys enclosure there substrate is 50/50 coconut coir / sand thanks. or what kind of edible plants can i grow in there for them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you'll have a hard time getting grass to grow indoors. It needs quite a bit of sunlight to grow well. You can try it...bermuda, fescue, rye...anything that says it is "grass" will be ok for the tort to eat.

You can go to Carolinapetsupply.com and buy some of their grass seeds. They're very fresh and germinate almost instantly.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the grass they grow for indoor cats to eat.. ? wheat? Should do well.. but you really need to get them outside..
Pansies, Clover..

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Growing grass indoors is not really all that difficult. I would not try to grow grass in a coco coir/sand substrate, instead I would get one of those seedling trays and put some organic dirt in it. The grass seed I use is the desert tortoise mix from Carolina Pet Supply. It has a great mix of different grasses perfect for sullys.

Once you have the dirt and the seeds, all you need is a light and some water. I have a clamp lamp with a "daylight" Comcact Flourecent. It provides light similar to the sun in the afternoon. Look for one that is around 6500 Kelvin on the box...they are about 2 bucks at any store that sells bulbs. I have the light about 12-18 inches above the grass and it is thriving in my indoor enclosure. Just make sure the substrate surrounding the grass is even with the tray so the tort can walk onto it easily.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
I planted the grazing tortoise seeds that I bought from Carolina Pet supply in her indoor enclosure which has the bed a beast dirt in it and it grew fine. Just mixed them in the dirt and watered it, of course I wet it down for humidity and have not had a problem. Well except for she eats it faster than it can grow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.