Little Babys Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordell

5 Year Member
Hello, I am a bit worried about my babys turtles shell. It seems to be growing without the scutes growing. The bottom of his shell is also doing the same. Sort of expanding without the bottom scutes growing with it. Some of them look as if they can be peeled off, I am sure it would be more like torn off but you get the idea. Also the shell bottom seems softer, when I hold the baby with thumb o bottom and fingers on top of shell I can feel him move with the shell flexing. I can push a bit as well and the shell on the bottom gives. If I push the shell carapace from side to side it seems strong. Not like a rock but like it would take a bit to damage it. I am very careful when I did this as the last thing I want to do is hurt him! Is this normal because he is a baby? I have some pics I took, its only a camera phone so I hope they turn out good enough. I still need to get pics of my bigger turtle up as I have concerns with her shell as well, though not the same.

thank you
cordell

p.s. he has UVB light, stays moist, stays warm, eats like a little pig! everything seems fine, just soft???

SSPX0225.jpg

SSPX0226.jpg

SSPX0228.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
The shell looks fine to me :) Are you supplementing with any calcium?

Danny

cordell

5 Year Member
No, I am not adding any calcium. I do have cuttle-bone pieces in his area. I have caught him taking a bite a couple times. Is this a sufficient source of calcium? Also, see his underside. The dark areas are my concern. They are all loose towards the center of the underside. Not really loose but if I slide a fingernail under it I could tear it off if I pulled on it. I dont pull hard of course, and it would have to be done with a tweezers as there is not that much loose to use hands. I thought shell rot but no smell from him there. How long until his underside hardens up?

Thanks for all help!
cordell

cordell

5 Year Member
I took him out for some real sunlight, he had a blast! Better pictures though, the underside is the only slight peeling spots. I learned how his shell grows so the spacing of the scutes is normal.

cordell

101_0689.jpg

101_0685.jpg

101_0684.jpg

101_0695.jpg

DENISEP

5 Year Member
He is so adorable. Baby turtles are just the cutest!

cordell said:
I took him out for some real sunlight, he had a blast! Better pictures though, the underside is the only slight peeling spots. I learned how his shell grows so the spacing of the scutes is normal.

cordell

101_0689.jpg

101_0685.jpg

101_0684.jpg

101_0695.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Is he a Three Toed? I'm sorry if you mentioned it in another post, but I didn't see it. Mine is growing also ...they look to be about the same age. Mine is about 9 weeks old, and you can see the same growth.
020-7.jpg

cordell

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Is he a Three Toed? I'm sorry if you mentioned it in another post, but I didn't see it. Mine is growing also ...they look to be about the same age. Mine is about 9 weeks old, and you can see the same growth.
020-7.jpg

yes he is a 3 toed. i would guess 9 to 12 weeks is pretty close to the age of mine too. he sure has came around since i got him. he eats daily, will climb around my hands without shelling up lie before. i think he trusts i am not gonna hurt him. i wish he was a little more active though, i know he is a baby a scared by nature. i just want him to grow up to be friendly like our bigger boxie. oh! he eats crickets now, before all he would eat was wax worms. i had him eating red worms for a minute, though he dont like them so he stopped. crickets are his main diet now, wax worms are a treat.

cordell

Status
Not open for further replies.