Baby box turtle's vertebral scutes

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427589043.000030.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427589058.324546.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427589077.100969.jpg

These little guys have doubled in size since I got them from 10g & 12grams to 21g and 23g. Since Tutor has grown some I have noticed the vertebral scutes a little more. I noticed an extra scute but also the vertebral scutes themselves are different . Her shell is growing more oval and not as high as Leo who has the normal shell pattern. Is this just cosmetic or is it a concern? She seems healthy otherwise and the more outgoing and greedy of the two. These two are very entertaining.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had one years ago that had a double row of vertebral scutes too. She looked slightly deformed when she was an adult turtle, and a bit smaller than the other ones, but other than that, she was perfectly normal.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I had one years ago that had a double row of vertebral scutes too. She looked slightly deformed when she was an adult turtle, and a bit smaller than the other ones, but other than that, she was perfectly normal.

Thanks! I was hoping it was nothing to worry about.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
I wouldn't worry about it, turtles have fixed spines, reinforced with a layer of bone and shell. A bad back is not a hindrance for a turtle, which is why this happens quite often and gets passed on through generations. one of mine has a bad formation in spine (I named him Lump and he's fine, in time the shell kind of fixes itself as it grows.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
My baby boxies are growing . I can remember getting them last year for Valentines Day and they were only 10g & 12g being scared to death because they were so tiny. They are so fun I can't wait to plan a bigger turtle garden for them this year. This forum is awesome!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (29).jpg
    FullSizeRender (29).jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 24
  • FullSizeRender (31).jpg
    FullSizeRender (31).jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 24

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yay for updated photos! Looks like shes grown fairly normally.