liquid calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Well last night she was outside and you couldnt even tell she was sick the day before!!

Some one send me nerve medicine

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Terra, how big is your sick one? I know Buddy is still in his "baby stage" but as you know, he only had about 5% of health left in him when we took ownership of him a little over a month ago. When we took him to the vet, he gave us a small bottle-full of liquid calcium. Actually, the exact medical name of the stuff is Calcionate Syrup and the dosage (and vet) said to give 3 units orally every 12 hours. The first couple of times we gave it to him, we actually tried to pry his little mouth open (as the vet said to do), but it scared the living bejeezus out of him, so we stopped doing that and just put the doses on his lips right after he got a warm bath/soaking-- he'd get it on his lips and then swallow (you can tell by his expression that the taste of it must be pretty horrible)... This liquid calcium stuff (which, the vet gave us little syringes to squirt on/in his mouth) and the eye drops he gave us (medical name: Gentamicin Sulfate Opthalmic Solution) REALLY helped Buddy a LOT! Do you have a regular vet that specializes in tortoises/reptiles? The whole visit and medicines came to a total of $55, which, I was actually expecting it to be much higher than that...I thought that was a pretty decent price. I know I'm a new tortoise parent, so I don't know a whole lot, but maybe taking your tort to a vet to get real medicine/diagnosis would be better than buying something off the internet? Heck, maybe there isn't anything "wrong" with her, but taking her to a vet could offer you peace of mind? Just a thought...

Oh--- And the crappy weather has put Buddy into a funk the past couple of days too. It feels more like December outside, rather than May...Even though Buddy can't actually see what the weather is like outside, Nick and I sort of have a hunch that he is longing for bright sun-shiney days outdoors, and since he "knows" that it's not nice enough for him to go out there, he's being a little grump-butt....But it's supposed to warm up next week here, so soon tortoises will hopefully turn their frowns upside down! :D

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
She was a apt tortoise for 10 years and came to teh rescue under weight.

The vet did a pick her up she feels heavy she is fine thing.

I am more about numbers.. she is actually 200 grams under weight per Danny.

She is better today, i did giver her a little bit of the calcium from a soft gel pill. Since it had been many years she didnt get it before i got her in November. The rescue strongly advises against vets here and i normally take my tort to the experts i have on hand.

Then i compare what they say to what you guys say, and make my decision.

So anyway, she ate last night 6 pebbles of mazuri and ate another 10 this morning, so i think she is fine now

M

Maggie Cummings

Terra, I am sorry but I think most of us didn't realize you were asking any questions in your first post.
If she were mine I would bring her in. I would set her up beautifully with a UVB light and a heater. *IF* you don't have a UVB light I would create a small warm place for her outside and put her out for a couple of hours daily in the warm sun. I personally think she is consistently too cold. I would never allow my Russian (Fat Nat) to get that cold. I would feed her broad leaf weeds and some regular greens, I would add 3 or 4 softened Mazuri pellets and a softened piece of yellow or orange squash every day trying to put some weight on her. I would add a little calcium carbonate but I think you are singling out calcium as her problem and it's not. She's not soft she is just too light. So warmth and food is what she needs in my personal opinion...

I hope you now feel you got enough advice, but if you'd reread your first post you would see that you kinda didn't ask any questions. We would never ignore you...but we would misunderstand your post, so I apologize to you from the group.
In reread all the posts I see she is inside so I don't understand why all the nighttime temperatures you were writing about, which are what threw me off, but I am not going to change my post as I am sick and it is frankly too much trouble. My advice to you would be to stop worrying about calcium and concentrate on keeping her warmer and feeding her too much. I feed too much and get a fat tortoise, so feed her too much.

Why do you think she has an eye problem? Is she under a coil light? Are her eyes open and she can't see? Explain to me what's with the eyes as that's kinda my circle of almost expertise, I am good with eyes...:)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well i wish some one would just smack me when i dont explain things well enough.

Maggie you are so sweet.

She is back outside and 100% better, i think its cause she is a outside tort and the weather changes have really effected her. I brought her in for the rain and cold a few nights. No lights then, just sleeping in a rubbermaid tub.

I think CoCo was stressing her out. I just get off on a wild idea and i need some one to tell me NO TERRA YOUR WRONG...hince the calcium, but alli wanted to do was make sure she was getting some since she wasnt eating.. and i was like well.....i could....

Anyhow her eyes were wide open, but she didnt respond to my fingers, sudden move ment, it was like she just went blind, snapping at her food and missing, bitting her leg a couple times...

I hand feed her tons of mazuri, and 36 hours later, 3 feedings and a drop of calcium, in her mouth, she is going at it outside.. oh yeah and a hour warm soak with a small jar of carrots, so basically carrot juice.

oh yeah and a heating pad on her belly..

and then again a huge big big big poop, i swear a baby suclata visited...

Status
Not open for further replies.