Lightings alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuketank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia
Hi again fellow TTF. Hope i am not posting in the wrong forum page. Anyway i am just wondering about the difference between a branded spot light such as exoterra sun glo vs regular spot light say OSRAM or phillips. Need to justify the price difference betweem the two.

While at it i am also wondering if tortoises need night lamp such as the exo terra night glo. Instead i have my basking spot light turmed on almost through the night as to thinking it will provide warmth. My basking lamp barely turned on during the day due to the natural heat and warmth our weather gets in this part of the world. But is this alright? It gets pretty chilly at night especially during rainy season.

Thanks.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I am not sure what all of the differences are, but I know the sun glo provides a type of UV, your tortoise needs UVA and UVB. If the Tort is not getting natural sunlight on a regular basis than it will need UVA/UVB. ALso you need to have a day and night schedule for a healthy happy tort so leaving a daylight on at night is not a good idea, just like we need the dark to remind us to sleep they need it also. If it isn't staying warm enough in the enclosure you could get a night bulb or a ceramic heat bulb to provide the heat without the daylight. I am sure more experienced Tort owners will add a lot more specific info soon :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
They don't need or really even possibly want any sort of light at night, just warmth. If you could use an infrared heater or a ceramic heater on the chillier nights, or consider some sort of heating panel or strips.

If the species is native in your area (what kind of tortoise IS it?), it may just need good shelter, like a large brush pile or artificial burrow that it can get into nice and deep.

nuketank

5 Year Member
Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia
@wrmitchell & @madkims thanks for the quick response. Will do just that. I am actually in south east asia and i have baby sulcatas and indian stars. Weather is very hot and humid but can get pretty chilli at night times. Do they tolerate cooler temp and if so what is the minimum temperature they can survive on long runs (as in every night).

Status
Not open for further replies.