Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello,
Next weekend, I will change the lights in Hermy's enclosure for the MVB 100W T-REX. I know I have to add another light, What kind of light can I add and do I put it on the hot side beside the MVB or on the cold side.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would get the longest regular florscent light that will fit on your enclosure Isa. Running from the warm side to the cool side.

Danny

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yea or just get one half the size but make sure its on the half where he basks or get a mercury vapor bulb have all in one ! Not to way your wrong Dan but they get very exspensive in that size but than again im recommending a 50 dollar bulb LOL !

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
I would get the longest regular florscent light that will fit on your enclosure Isa. Running from the warm side to the cool side.

Danny

Thanks Danny & Twtraudio, the enclosure size is 7'*3'.
When you say regular florescent light, are you talking about the lights I can buy at home depot or the exo terra ones for reptile?
Is it possible to get a regular fluorescent light that long?
at what distance from Hermy's carapace should I put the light?

S

stells

Isa has already said she is getting an MVB bulb. The bulb Danny is suggesting isn't a UV srip as the UV will come from the MVB, it is just a normal fluorescent bulb as used in kitchens, bathrooms etc :D ;)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Isa,
Yes a regular 4 foot shop light is fine with regular bulbs. Well kind of regular bulbs :p I try to get florscent bulbs that throw the most lumens (brightness of light). Try to find ones that put out at least 3,000 lumens. I get kitchen and bath bulbs that put out 3,400 lumens.
If the one 2 bulb shop light isn't enough you can get a second one.
You don't have to worry about distance with the regular florscents, as low as you want. :)

Danny

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
stells said:
Isa has already said she is getting an MVB bulb. The bulb Danny is suggesting isn't a UV srip as the UV will come from the MVB, it is just a normal fluorescent bulb as used in kitchens, bathrooms etc :D ;)

Yea i see that now i didnt read it right sorry. So is it just for more ambient light than ? Like to mimc full on sunny day ?Im just curious cause i just use the mvb for my enclosures.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes all grassland and Mediterranean species need lots of light during the day to do well.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.