Hermy's enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yesterday, I made some renovations in Hermy's enclosure. I remove all the carpets, put aspen everywhere and build a second story.
Any advices or comments are welcome :)
I put 4 ceramic tiles (2 for food, one for the pool and one for the basking).
There are 2 fluorescent light 4' and one MVB T-Rex.
Hermy is not so happy about the renovations and he hates the aspen. I hope he will get used to it soon.
Here is the hot side
PICT2265.jpg

and the cold side
PICT2266.jpg

Under the second floor
PICT2267.jpg

The second floor
PICT2268.jpg

I am not sure of what I am going to put there. I think I will put aspen. Hermy does not go there yet.
and here is Hermy all stressed out :(
PICT2264.jpg

I forgot to add that I will add some plants in the enclosure :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I am always so jealous when I see such great tort tables. I want a second floor in a couple of my tables. Where do you get those small logs you have there? and what are they used for? I wish I got pound nails like that, and make such great stuff...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thank you so much Maggie :D
I bought the small logs at the pet store in the rodents section. Hermy loves them. They are sold to be used as hides. I have 2 of them in the enclosure, In the third picture, I made a hide with one of them and in the first picture, I let it straight for Hermy to walk on it (He loves it, he walks on it a couple of times a day).

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, Hermy is so cute showing his mad side :p. Have you tired the small shred aspen they usually carry it in the snake department of the petstores. You might want to try that on the second story. It is usually sold in much smaller quantities. Just an idea. Or maybe even put the carpet there and see how it goes. At least for a while. He will get use to it. May take a while but I think he will get use to it. :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa, Hermy is so cute showing his mad side :p. Have you tired the small shred aspen they usually carry it in the snake department of the petstores. You might want to try that on the second story. It is usually sold in much smaller quantities. Just an idea. Or maybe even put the carpet there and see how it goes. At least for a while. He will get use to it. May take a while but I think he will get use to it. :D

Thank you Robyn :D
He was not so happy but when I gave him butternut squash this afternoon, he forgot he was mad ;). Yes, I did try to buy aspen for snakes but can you believe that they do not have that one!!!!! I am going on vacation in Ontario for the weekend, I will go see if they have it and if they do, I will buy a couple of bags, and I will put that instead of the aspen in big pieces. Hermy does not like the aspen BUT today, he was asleep in the aspen with his 4 legs out and he ate like a pigglet, so I guess he is not that unhappy :D. Yesterday, around 7PM I was looking for him and I saw a little bit of green in the aspen in one of his hides, He was burried :D I was soo happy, now I can't wait to see if he is going to do it again tonight. If I do not find the aspen for snakes, I think it is a good idea to put carptet, I am sure Hermy would be really happy about that :D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Isa, it looks great. I love those log hides too! It sounds like he is getting used to it!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow so much space! I love it. How does that water dish work for him? Have you put him up on the second story? Can he climb the ramp or is it steep/slippery? Any signs of his allergy/reaction to the substrate, or just general dislike?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thank you Kate :D
Hermy lovesss his water dish! he goes in it a couple of times a day, I love it too because he has space to walk in his dish. Yes, I already put him on the second story, he just walked around and when back downstairs. I will have to do some modification with the second story, I think it is too steep. I will have to make the second floor lower, that way the ramp will be less steep. I think Hermy does not like to walk on the substrate but he is getting used to it. This morning, when I woke up, I found him basking under his light all comfortable :) If he was that stressed, I do not think he would bask and I do not think he would eat like he does. Yesterday, when he was digging in his aspen to go to bed, I heard him sneeze? Is it normal?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sounds like things are going well except the sneeze. I have never heard a tort sneeze! Hopefully someone else had advice, or just keep an eye on it to see what you think could be going on. Some aspen can be a little dusty.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I will keep an eye on him, his nostrils are beautiful so I hope the sneezing will stop.
Can you believe that I think that Hermy lovess the aspen!!!! He looks really comfortable with it, he sleeps in it during the night and on it during the day. I am so happy :D

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Isa said:
I will keep an eye on him, his nostrils are beautiful so I hope the sneezing will stop.
Can you believe that I think that Hermy lovess the aspen!!!! He looks really comfortable with it, he sleeps in it during the night and on it during the day. I am so happy :D
Like anything, probably just took a bit of time to get used it. That's great he likes it!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Seiryu said:
Isa said:
Like anything, probably just took a bit of time to get used it. That's great he likes it!

Thanks Rob
Before, Hermy used to hate aspen, he did not even want to walk on it. I do not know why he likes it all of a sudden but I am really happy about it :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa torts do sneeze. It is normal. I have heard mine do it from time to time. Just like us. Glad Hermy has gotten use to the Aspen I knew eventually he would. Sometimes us tort moms do know whats best :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa torts do sneeze. It is normal. I have heard mine do it from time to time. Just like us. Glad Hermy has gotten use to the Aspen I knew eventually he would. Sometimes us tort moms do know whats best :p

Thank you so much for the info Robyn, I was a little worried about the sneezing :).

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow that looks great. Im really jealous haha :) It gives me ideas for my baby tort. I'm new here, nice to meet you!

Your tort is adorable!

- M&M.

Status
Not open for further replies.