Lighting tips, tricks and questions💥👍💥👍.... !😉

Midwesttort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Princeton, IL
This is a thread where you can ask and get SPECIFIC LIGHTING ANSWERS and TIPS you may be looking for..... made EASY!

I was discussing with Mod Tom and we talked about how confusing lighting can be!

In part because there are so many species of tortoise in so many differnt types and sizes of set ups.

All these variables make asking for and getting the correct information SO CONFUSING!

No wonder why everyone gets confused and heads explode!
LOL

🐢 + 💡=💥🤯💥

So...
This is Lighting Made Easy!

But,
here is the catch!

So you get the correct advice for your particular set up and animals
PLEASE post a picture of your set up along with your question(s).
More pics the better!
👍
And SHOW US what you are working with and what you currently have for lighting equipment!

That way, advice can be TARGETED TO YOUR SET UP!

Now,
If you are "post shy" 😔
and do not want to put up a picture, but are still in need of help....
You can simply e-mail me a pic of your set up to me at: [email protected]

Please put: "Need Tortoise lighting advice " in the subject line so I will be able to see it quickly!
I usually respond in 24 hours or less.

OR

Post here and please include a few pictures!

PLEASE:
Describe set up
Type of tortoise you have and how big the animal is.
Cage dimentions / size
What do you have specifically for lights running now?
How far are the lights over TOP OF the animal's SHELL to bulb(s).

Even if you don't put up a post here or feel you need any lighting help...
PLEASE feel free to look through the posts & pics to see SET UPS SIMILAR TO YOUR OWN!

Let's get the correct UVB and lighting over tortoises EVERYWHERE!

So that they will stay HEALTHY and free of Metabolic Bone Disease and horrible, debilitating calcium imbalances!

Feel free to link and share this tread to all tortoise lovers!

I personally will check this thread every evening...
but anyone can also respond to posts & advice or share products that have worked for them!

Cheers,
Todd

lightyourreptiles.com
Hey Todd, is the flood lamp instead of the basking heat lamp or the UVB?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Todd, is the flood lamp instead of the basking heat lamp or the UVB?
The flood lamp should be used as a basking lamp to accompany the T5 UVB lamp. The T5's do not emit heat, so the supplemental basking bulb is needed. I use a pair of 65w incandescent flood bulbs with my T5. :)

Bobbe

Shelbyville, TN
Lots of useful information, thank you all. My question is, can I safely add 4 LED grow light strips T5 10w to a tortoise table for grass growth? I have installed but worry it may some way be to much as I already have adequate basking and UV lighting for my tort. 20240114_163906.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...can I safely add 4 LED grow light strips T5 10w...
I don't understand what you are asking here. You've jumbled up a bunch of terms. I know what 4 LED strips are. T5 is a type of florescent tube, so how does this relate to the LEDs that you are asking about? Which part is 10 watts?

I would not use "grow lights" over a tortoise. You want white, balanced, "day" light in the 5000-6500K color range for a tortoise. That type of light will also grow plants if it is bright enough, but I don't know if that will be bright enough to grow grass.

Two more problems:
1. To grow grass, you need soil. Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate.
2. Any grass you try to grow in an indoor enclosure will be eaten or trampled in short order. Ask me how I know this... :)

Having said all of that, I would like to welcome you and encourage you to ask more questions and learn more here. This thread will catch you up to speed:

Bobbe

Shelbyville, TN
I don't understand what you are asking here. You've jumbled up a bunch of terms. I know what 4 LED strips are. T5 is a type of florescent tube, so how does this relate to the LEDs that you are asking about? Which part is 10 watts?

I would not use "grow lights" over a tortoise. You want white, balanced, "day" light in the 5000-6500K color range for a tortoise. That type of light will also grow plants if it is bright enough, but I don't know if that will be bright enough to grow grass.

Two more problems:
1. To grow grass, you need soil. Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate.
2. Any grass you try to grow in an indoor enclosure will be eaten or trampled in short order. Ask me how I know this... :)

Having said all of that, I would like to welcome you and encourage you to ask more questions and learn more here. This thread will catch you up to speed:
I appreciate your response. I apologize for the confusion. The grass mix is tortoise specific and intended for it to eat. I've started the seeds in a hydroponic tower and moved it into the enclosure which has substrate of Coco coir mixed with Scott's brand topsoil. I understand it will grow, get eaten or crushed. The light information given is what is on the listing for what I purchased. Which is also what caused confusion for me as to if it is safe to add to what it already has. Again, thanks for the response. I will remove them and move the starters under Tortallini's safe UV light and see what happens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate your response. I apologize for the confusion. The grass mix is tortoise specific and intended for it to eat. I've started the seeds in a hydroponic tower and moved it into the enclosure which has substrate of Coco coir mixed with Scott's brand topsoil. I understand it will grow, get eaten or crushed. The light information given is what is on the listing for what I purchased. Which is also what caused confusion for me as to if it is safe to add to what it already has. Again, thanks for the response. I will remove them and move the starters under Tortallini's safe UV light and see what happens.
I grow the grass seed in planters or pots outside and then cut it, mix it with other good stuff, and feed it to them. Coco coir is safe, but topsoil or any other store bought bagged soil should not be used as tortoise substrate. There is no way to know what is in it and it could be toxic or dangerous. The makers do not intend for small animals to be living on or in it.