Lighting/Temperature

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
Hello..... what is the appropriate range for the "cool" side of our tortoise habitat for indoor enclosure? I've read different things on different sites. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The information is species dependant.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
What species of tortoise do you have ?

Ha...yes, I guess that would have been good information to share. Adopting a 4-5 year old male russian tortoise this Sunday. Playing around with lights now so we make sure we have them correct. We have warm side during the day ranging close to 90, but the other side of habitat is still getting close to 80. Overnight it dropped into upper 60's which was fine. Thanks.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
The information is species dependant.

Yup....I realized I forgot that part when I replied in other thread. Adopting a 4-5 year old male russian on Sunday. We have warm side at around 90 during the day, but opposite side is staying at around 80. Wasn't sure if this was too warm. Overnight dropped into mid/upper 60's which I know is fine. Just playing with lights now to make sure we get them regulated before we get him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't own Russians but this seems ok as per the care sheet.
He'd need a cool hidey hole somewhere, though.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
I don't own Russians but this seems ok as per the care sheet.
He'd need a cool hidey hole somewhere, though.

Yup....I thought so, but was trying to double check since this is new for us. We have a hide over near the warmest basking spot. We have water dish on opposite side along and will put another hide in there for now (since they are giving us the one he is used to using). We are so excited to be doing a "rescue" and cannot wait to get him.