lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy28

5 Year Member
I have an indoor enclosure for my three toed box turtle, and I was just wondering if the coil UVB bulb is bad for them.

i know they're not recommended for bearded dragons and uromastyx, but I'm not sure for turtles (if their eyes are as sensitive or whatnot)
Thanks,
Sam

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Most boxies live on the forest floor and only get sunlight filtered through the trees. They don't like bright light and they really don't need it. If you keep your boxie indoors, your should have a heat emitter on one side (which would be their warm side) and a long tube UVB 10.0 or if your enclosure is small a 5.0 tube UVB light on the other side. This way they have the option to go on a hot side or a cool side. I have the long tube light on top of a screen so it is filtered, and on the other side I made a hole for the heat emitter. I have a Three Toed also and she is in a 75 gal planted vivarium when she is inside. What kind of enclosure is your boxie in?

sammy28

5 Year Member
Right now she's in a 40gal tank with soil and I planted some flowers! She loves to stomp them down though :(
Right now I don't have a cage top for her, but I put the coil bulb on it around the middle (it straddles the viv so it won't fall).
Her viv is right next to a window too, but I gave her a 75w basking bulb in a dome (an old light from my other reptile after I bought a MVB), so she gets a warm spot.

So I'm getting that I should take that out and perhaps get a long tube UVB and a heat emmiter? I put the basking light in there so she could digest...

Sam

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes...heat emitter on one side for heat.......long tube UVB...on the other side for vit. D. and light. The heat emitter should go on top of the hide area. water under the UVB...which should extend toward middle. This is just what works for me....others, I am sure have different thoughts. Of course the best is an outdoor enclosure, and if that isn't possible maybe you could take her outside for some sun...supervised, of course. Post some pictures, if you can.

008-5.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Terry what substrate do you use for your box turtle? Looks like moss, anything else with it?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I put a layer of organic top soil, then forest floor by zoo med (100 % Cyprus mulch) and then on top of that green reptile moss. In the hide I put long fibered moss. I wet it ..squeeze it out and fluff it up. Some plants I leave in the pot and some I put directly into the substrate. I also put some leaf litter crumbled up. I do this with my Cherry Head and my boxies. I try to mimic the forest floor. I used to mist the substrate all the time and then my cherry head started to get a fungus. So now I just water the plants twice a week and keep the hide humid. That is plenty of humidity for them. They are outside now during the day. I am a worry wort (?) so I still bring them in when it gets dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.