UV index for box turtles?

Lyra

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the enclosure section, but I was wondering about the UV index required for box turtles. I use a UVB meter to gauge the correct distance I need to raise or lower my UVB tubes, so what index do box turtles prefer their range? I would imagine it will be lower than my bearded dragons, so I plan on using my Reptisun 5.0 HO T5 bulb on a Sunblaster fixture, but I think I will be removing the reflectors to decrease the output a bit.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on good reading for box turtles would be much appreciated. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the enclosure section, but I was wondering about the UV index required for box turtles. I use a UVB meter to gauge the correct distance I need to raise or lower my UVB tubes, so what index do box turtles prefer their range? I would imagine it will be lower than my bearded dragons, so I plan on using my Reptisun 5.0 HO T5 bulb on a Sunblaster fixture, but I think I will be removing the reflectors to decrease the output a bit.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on good reading for box turtles would be much appreciated. :)

No one knows this answer. No one knows this answer for any Chelonian species.

Some people think that boxies don't need UV at all as long as they get D3 in the diet.

I think your 5.0HO will do the job. I'd leave the reflector on. The 5.0s don't make all that much UV.

Lyra

Maryland
No one knows this answer. No one knows this answer for any Chelonian species.

Some people think that boxies don't need UV at all as long as they get D3 in the diet.

I think your 5.0HO will do the job. I'd leave the reflector on. The 5.0s don't make all that much UV.

I will leave the reflector on then. So is it not necessary to have the UVB near the heat source for synthesizing D3 during digestion like beardies? Or is the thinking more along the lines of how nocturnal reptiles can synthesize D3 without UV? I have never had turtles before, so all of this is new territory for me but I like to learn as much as I can. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Definitely different than Beardies. Beardies need a lot of UV, as I'm sure you know. Boxies can live with a much lower amount, and some people think they don't need it at all if the diet is correct. I don't know whether they do or don't, so your plan with the 5.0 HO AND a good diet should keep your baby healthy one way or another.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I raise all boxies with a 5.0 tube.

Lyra

Maryland
I've seen how some people only do UVB a few times a week for a few hours, and some who use it about the same as the natural sun would provide. Is there the same unknown when it comes to the amount of UVB they need?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen how some people only do UVB a few times a week for a few hours, and some who use it about the same as the natural sun would provide. Is there the same unknown when it comes to the amount of UVB they need?

Everything is unknown for every species. How much they need both in intensity and duration, if there is some sort of threshold that must be crossed before D3 can be synthesized, is there some minimum needed in hours per week, etc…

What we do know is what works, anecdotally speaking, and what doesn't work.

Its a very complex issues with a lot of variables to consider. Suffice to say your turtle will not get MBD with a 5.0HO bulb and a good diet. And your beardie will likely need more UV exposure than your turtle.

Lyra

Maryland
So I will just do my best to mimic his natural environment and go from there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I will just do my best to mimic his natural environment and go from there.

Mmm. You don't know me, and we've never had long conversations about this, but our attempts at mimicking the natural environment in our captive enclosures are often lacking. Many mistakes have been perpetuated by following this doctrine.

I think it best to attempt to provide optimal captive conditions vs. mimicking what we perceive the natural environment to be.

Just making conversation here. Not trying to argue or be difficult, but this subject has come up many times.

Lyra

Maryland
Mmm. You don't know me, and we've never had long conversations about this, but our attempts at mimicking the natural environment in our captive enclosures are often lacking. Many mistakes have been perpetuated by following this doctrine.

I think it best to attempt to provide optimal captive conditions vs. mimicking what we perceive the natural environment to be.

Just making conversation here. Not trying to argue or be difficult, but this subject has come up many times.

It's alright, I always like a conversation, I think it's the best way to bounce ideas off each other and learn new things. I should have clarified that statement, when I said mimic the environment I was referring to the UV exposure. So I would provide a daily amount of UV like the sun would, and offer plenty of hiding places so the turtle could chose to remain in the direct UV for as much as he wanted. I also set my timers to the same amount of sunlight in my area, i.e. more in the summer, less in the winter. I know there is no real way to match their environment identically as it is in the wild, there are just too many anomalies that we can't recreate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's alright, I always like a conversation, I think it's the best way to bounce ideas off each other and learn new things. I should have clarified that statement, when I said mimic the environment I was referring to the UV exposure. So I would provide a daily amount of UV like the sun would, and offer plenty of hiding places so the turtle could chose to remain in the direct UV for as much as he wanted. I also set my timers to the same amount of sunlight in my area, i.e. more in the summer, less in the winter. I know there is no real way to match their environment identically as it is in the wild, there are just too many anomalies that we can't recreate.

Ok, good. Glad my tone came across the right way. :D

I keep a bunch of sun loving, basking species, and I basically do what you are saying. I have some Arcadia 12% HO bulbs and I set them on timers to come on from 11-3 each day, simulating the much higher levels of mid day UV from the sun and lower levels in the morning and late evening.

BTW, I think its fantastic that you have a UV meter! I think everyone should have one. Which one have you got? I got the Solarmeter 6.2 and the 6.5 too.

Lyra

Maryland
I have the 6.2, I was looking into the 6.5 as well, but I'm still new at using the 6.2 and understanding its readings so I am waiting a while on the 6.5. I also do a 'moving sun' effect on my male beardies enclosure since it has the length for it, I find it fascinating to watch him move from one side to the other as the lights progress. I use a MVB and a flood light/Reptisun 10.0 HO to change the UV output for him.

I think my next purchase will probably be a Herpstat though, I have so many timers running in my reptile room that it's time to cut it all back! ;)

Sanchez

Chicago,IL
For box turtles I would say that as long as you have a basking spot where they can get a bunch of UV and shade spots where they can hide then you should be all good.