Lighting Question, Please HELP!!!

kaylalane

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, CA
I recently got my first reptile, a box turtle! And I have a question about lighting for my new little guy:

I bought the National Geographic UVB Desert Bulb and while it obviously emits UVB I don't know if it emits UVA also. The packaging and website don't say one way or the other.

So does anyone know if this bulb does both UVB and UVA?

If it does not do you have a recommendation for a bulb that does emit both UVB and UVA? The lighting fixture is National Geographic brand so I would like to use a National Geographic Bulb so I don't have to worry about comparability issues if at all possible. (But I'm open to other suggestions, I just want what is best for my new friend)

I also am using a Ceramic Heat Emiter for basking and a red night heat bulb for nighttime.

Thanks so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I looked it up, it's a spiral bulb which can damage tortoises eyes. I would not use it. A mercury vapor bulb is better and gives heat, light and UVB/UVA. Also the ceramic heat emitter is best for night it gives off no light. The red bulb can sometimes make them eat their substrate as they are attracted to the color red, I wouldn't uses that bulb either, at least not at night. They should have it dark at night.

happyheart2004

I believe I also.may be using that bulb. recommended ftom a pet store - go figure-
My new baby sulcatas were brought home yesterday. They were super active all day. Since 10pm yesterday- they stopped exploring the new habitat and were sleeping. This am- each had one eye sealed shut. I did the warm shower steam and then a 10 minute soak in the warm water. Then dry with a heated towel. Yes a heated towel. Even my human children do not get a heated towel :)
They are back to sleeping. Is this ok? Definitely changing the lighting today...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you did good. Getting rid of the bulb will fix things. The eye problems caused by these bulbs are corrected once the bulb is stopped being used. At least I don't remember hearing of one that didn't recover.
Just make sure too that all temps and humidity is correct so that it's not something along with the bulb. Babies do sleep a lot and when my leopard was little, once he got used to his enclosure, he didn't explore it as much. I would change it up once or twice a week or so to get him back into exploring again until he figured the new arrangement out then he would lay around again. Just even a new rock or placed in a new place each time would get him exploring a little.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
What are your humidity levels and temps? Many people are under the assumption that because the species is from a dry place, that it doesn't need humidity or moisture. This is false, which is why I ask what your levels are.

Directed at happy heart