Lighting for Sulcata

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I am an experienced Sulcata keeper. And because I am experienced and a know it all, I really haven't paid much attention to the new and different lighting and heating recommendations . But I have a tortoise who needs her care to be spot on.
Re: Mary Knobbins

She was found walking the streets of downtown Portland Oregon. That's about 100 miles from where I live. The person who found the tortoise lives here in Corvallis, so he brought her here and turned her over to the wildlife rescue who called me and there ya go. I have had Mary for about 3 years. That's her on the far right.
IMG_0301.JPG
You see how badly pyramided she is from the git go. I always used black light bulbs for heat but ya can't find them anymore, so I have slowly been switching over to CHE's. BUT, I've gotten mostly black 100 watt cheap lookin things that don't put out 1/4 of the heat put out by my old CHE's. So I am sorta having a problem . Bob drug his sprinkler into his shed and it ran almost full blast for a couple of hours. LOL But that incident caused me to put in a claim for damage to the floor, so we put in new insulation (the sheet styrofoam stuff) and new floor et all. Fast forward to now. I was in the tort shed putting the tortoises to bed and making sure all the timers are on correctly, and I was on my knees reaching over to find my tort and realized it was very cold there. The door recently made for Mary leaks cold sumthin terrible.
My question is 2 fold I guess, my tortoises will only get outside sporadically for the next 7 months, right now I am using 75 watt flood bulbs for basking heat, 100 watt CHE's for each tortoise, sleeping box with a Kane pig blanket/rheostat, ambient heat is an oil filled radiator heater and the ambient heat is almost 90 unless you put your hand on the floor. So I added stall mats, still cold on the floor, ??? I didn't like the tube lights I had put up, but with the bulbs recommended nowadaze, I have a 4 ft fixture with 2 bulbs reading Reptisun 5.0 with a couple of months actual use, but they have been in the closet for a whole lotta years.
I'm looking for advice on the UVB tube thingy, I can't do a thing about the cold floor I guess, and 2. UBV lights for the winter. Can I use those old bulbs? Oh Mary needs a RHP or a pig blanket, where do I find those and what should I look out for including used bulbs?
100_4175.JPG
Thanks for reading all this....

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Well, I atleast know where you can get a rhp! I bought my 2 from reptilebasics.com they have multiple watt options and everything! I have the 120w just to be safe since they are obviously on a thermostat. I love them. Idk if different brands work differently, but these are great.

Also, I think the only way to be sure about the older used tubes is to have a uvb reader.... otherwise I think it'll be just a guess and a hope lol. I have had a few older ones that I tested and it was pretty low if I remember right... I was checking for when I got my redfoot, so they worked temporarily for her lol since she didn't need as much as my little leo. ?

I'm sorry I can't help more ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If Mary will eat Mazuri, she may get enough vitamin D from that, and won't need a UVB light. I can send you a small amount to see if she'll eat it and if she will, I'll order a bag for you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If Mary will eat Mazuri, she may get enough vitamin D from that, and won't need a UVB light. I can send you a small amount to see if she'll eat it and if she will, I'll order a bag for you.
I noticed a small quantity of Mazuri tort food at Wilco recently, I'll go back and see if there is...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, I atleast know where you can get a rhp! I bought my 2 from reptilebasics.com they have multiple watt options and everything! I have the 120w just to be safe since they are obviously on a thermostat. I love them. Idk if different brands work differently, but these are great.

Also, I think the only way to be sure about the older used tubes is to have a uvb reader.... otherwise I think it'll be just a guess and a hope lol. I have had a few older ones that I tested and it was pretty low if I remember right... I was checking for when I got my redfoot, so they worked temporarily for her lol since she didn't need as much as my little leo. ?

I'm sorry I can't help more ?
Yes, I agree with you, you were no help at all, telling me about your recent experience and sending a link for the product I need...thanks so much... perfect! Right now I'm hauling heavy mil plastic out and gonna staple it over the windows. It didn't even make it to 50 today with wind. brrr thanks again

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yes, I agree with you, you were no help at all, telling me about your recent experience and sending a link for the product I need...thanks so much... perfect! Right now I'm hauling heavy mil plastic out and gonna staple it over the windows. It didn't even make it to 50 today with wind. brrr thanks again
I changed a light bulb in my bathroom today.. hope this helps