Light

joekoh

Hi all

I'm residing in the tropics and is warm and humid year long, keeping a Juv Greek indoor.

Currently using exo terra, intense basking spot light. Understand there no UVB emitted. Should I get an extra UVB light ? What brand n type is best ?

There is also the daylight intense basking bulb from exo terra as well. Aside from the color emitted. Any idea what the difference and which is more suitable for tortoise ?

I've attached image of what I'm currently using.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396515228.436990.jpg
Cheers
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get your tortoise outside and you won't need any UVB or lighting at all. Your temps sounds perfect for a tortoise to live outside. If he is small, still a baby, put him out for the day, providing shade, and bring him in only to sleep at night.

joekoh

In an ideal world, would love to. But residing in city where land is precious, 2 bedroom apartment cost millions it's tough to house them outside.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you have a window that gets direct sun? Many people discount this option because of the screen but the screening material I've encountered only blocked about 30% of UVB and being in the tropics, you are probably starting out with a higher amount of UVB. I prefer an open/screened window to bulbs, but as with bulbs I recommend using a meter.

joekoh

Yeah. The tortoise set up is by the window side, catch mostly afternoon sun tough.

Was thinking together with a basking lamp, should be good enough

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If he can get direct sunshine, not through the glass, you don't need indoor UV bulbs, but be sure that a large portion of the enclosure is NOT in the sun so that you don't over heat him.

I don't like "spot" bulbs or anything called "intense". These tend to dry out the carapace and contribute to pyramiding. A regular incandescent flood bulb while give you a larger warm area without creating such an intense hot spot.

If you decide you need indoor UV then mercury vapor bulbs like the Powersun, or long florescent tubes are best. I recommend against the coil type cfl bulbs as I have seen them damage reptile eyes many times.

If you click the links in my signature, there are links for how to build simple inexpensive outdoor enclosures too.

joekoh

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the great reply. Do warm or white basking light make any differences?

incandescent flood bulb, can we go for white light ?

Joe

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The "white" light or "daylight" bulbs are best. I run them on a timer too, so they turn on and off by themselves at the same time each day.

Make sure you use a thermometer to get the right wattage and basking temperature directly under your bulb. I usually use a 65 watt basking bulb and I adjust the height of the fixture to get the temp I want. You could also use a rheostat or different wattage bulbs to adjust the temperature, but the point is to check it and make sure it is hot enough, but not too hot.

joekoh

Hi Tom

Great advice. Been reading that coil type UVB bulb by zoomed etc hurt the animal eye. It's strange why they still manufacture them. For an American brand, the animal rights should have file a case against them:/

joekoh

Hi Tom

Been hunting for a daylight, "white" incandescent bulb but no avail. incandescent bulb all seem to be warm.

In this part of the works, daylight, white bulb been replace by energy saving bulb (not LED) and heat level is pretty low.

Any idea what brand of daylight (white) light you would recommend?

Cheers
Joe

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any regular incandescent bulb will work. I just don't like the red, blue or black ones that some reptile people seem to use. We have many brands available here. Phillips, Sylvania, GE...

joekoh

Incandescent emit warm, orange tone and not daylight white Colour. Think the blue color is to change the warm color to daylight. Years ago they have blue incandescent bulb, when turn on its daylight, white color.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are talking about two different things.

Regular incandescent bulbs that you would use to light a room are what you want. Doesn't matter if they are "soft white" or any of that. I'm not talking about a slightly bluish or yellowish tint. These are not the same thing are the bulbs that emit blue or red light that are intended for night time use, even though some people seem to want to use them in the day time too.

joekoh

Thanks Tom. Will head to get Regular wide incandescent build. GE replied. There is white incandescence but is for American market. We follow British standard here :/ so nothing for this part of the world.

joekoh

What the view of this bulb ? Incandescent bulb been replace by the energy saving bulb. Heat level lower tough.

It's pretty similiar to the coil type ( we have it here as well).

Cheers
Joe ImageUploadedByTortForum1396872580.812631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: