Light help...

AnimalLady

So for this cold snap I ran out and bought this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-10-Gallon-Reptile-Kit-Reptiles-Amphibians/24808061

I really wanted the tank and the screen top... but I figured I would also use the basking bulb thing for daytime. It came with a 60w bulb and the fixture to sit on top of the screen top. When I placed the light on it got REALLY REALLY hot. It even melted a banana in there. When I set it up for 15 minutes and took a temp reading it was coming in at 92, scared the crap outta me and I turned it off. I used the CHE on a thermostat instead and set the temp to 82, its been working ok.

Any idea what to do about that basking light? Does it need to be raised higher or something? I'm afraid of overheating... how can I stop it from getting so hot. The tank is only 10 gallons so I have a feeling maybe its too much for the size? Can I use a smaller wattage LED since they let off way less heat? I only want light! For heat I have the CHE....

Help?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Sorry I can't help but just wondered will your turtle need uvb as well as light in there too?

AnimalLady

Nope. He lives outside, this is just for the cold this week. Its been in the upper 60s so I just brought him in for a few days.

AnimalLady

I have 2 lamp stands but was really trying to not use them. Ok cool, so LEDs r safe.