Light and heating double check because Im paranoid!

Turningstar

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Just finished the closed chamber yesterday. I have a 36" uvb tube light and a 65 watt flood basking bulb. Night heat is a 100 watt che on a thermostat set for 80.

Tank is on the porch and its super hot right now, so with the tube light and basking bulb on, ambient temps are 93° near the lights, 90 near the cooler ends by their hides, and basking is about 104/105.
Is that too warm for baby sulcatas during the summer days? Humidity is 88-90% during the day in the tank.

Should I leave the basking bulb on in mornong and evening, but off in the hot afternoons? Try a lower watt flood bulb? Crack the doors to let heat escape (but not torts, obviously)? I have a ceiling fan on the porch, but when its in the 90's, they dont do anything but move hot air...

daniellenc

Maryland
I wouldn’t bother with day heat at all and lower your wattage a bit. Hatchlings overheat easily and dehydrate quicker.

Turningstar

Florida
I wouldn’t bother with day heat at all and lower your wattage a bit. Hatchlings overheat easily and dehydrate quicker.
Ill try to find a lower watt bulb. Che only comes on when temp drops below 82 at night. The only source of heat is from the 2 lights. It is 91% humidity, so hopefully they wont get dehydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your enclosure looks excellent! Very well done! :D

My reptile room heats up into the 90s in summer and I have the same issue. I've gone down to 25 watt round bulbs, but they still over heat. My solution was to add a thermostat to the basking bulb, so my basking bulbs are on timers and thermostats at the same time. If the ambient climbs over 95, the thermostat shuts them off. When the temp cools a bit, the thermostat turns them back on. My led lights stay on to keep it bright in the enclosure, but the heat shuts off. At night all the lights go off and it cools down to 80.

Turningstar

Florida
I think your enclosure looks excellent! Very well done! :D

My reptile room heats up into the 90s in summer and I have the same issue. I've gone down to 25 watt round bulbs, but they still over heat. My solution was to add a thermostat to the basking bulb, so my basking bulbs are on timers and thermostats at the same time. If the ambient climbs over 95, the thermostat shuts them off. When the temp cools a bit, the thermostat turns them back on. My led lights stay on to keep it bright in the enclosure, but the heat shuts off. At night all the lights go off and it cools down to 80.
Ill try getting another thermostat for the basking bulb. Hopefully that will be better for them.
And thanks! Im really proud of the enclosure I built. I wanted to give them the best home I could![emoji1]

daniellenc

Maryland
Ill try getting another thermostat for the basking bulb. Hopefully that will be better for them.
And thanks! Im really proud of the enclosure I built. I wanted to give them the best home I could![emoji1]
Your enclosure is awesome!! I wish I had that skill.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I were a baby tortoise, I'd want to live in there!