Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana USA
Hello You Very Kind People!

You've been so reassuring and helpful.

Tomorrow, my little dalmatian will have survived her first week with us.

Still, I wish she'd eat more and I don't know where the heck she poops.

Here is my question.

Let me set it up...

I am in Montana where even in high summer, July, the sunshine is not all that. This year it was smoke from the wild fires.

Okay, a few years back, I bought a light box. The kind of light that is very bright and used for 'light therapy.' It mimics natural daylight in its spectrum. It runs on a timer from 15 minutes to an hour.

Now, for the question. Ready?

Is it okay if I share my light time with my tortoise? Can I awaken her and bring her out to keep me company while I check emails and catch some rays?

By the way, this is not a tanning light. Heaven forbid a leather face from winter time sessions with 'the box.'

Thanks again all of you nice people and well met!

Sally

1 Ecclectus Parrot 18 years this month...
1 Service Dog from CCI
1 Cat aged 17
Several Tropical Fish
4 hens for show cuz they don't lay worth a darn...
1 yearling Dalmatian Tortoise (thank you Steve E.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sally:

It might be a good idea to buy a UV meter and test your light box. The light bulbs lose their efficiency after time. I don't know anything about your type of light, but I think it probably gets less efficient over time also. A meter will tell you for sure.

If the light is ok for you, it won't harm your tortoise...I just don't know how beneficial it will be, though.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
I set some food to soak at the edge of the water dish this morning. I heated my coffee and when I came back to move the food she was inside the water dish eating it.

Yes! She was eating.

I don't know that my light box is even beneficial to me after two winters but if it won't do any harm, I think I'll share.

Sally

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
Well, a week into Tortoise Care, she is eating. I finally figured out her schedule.

After a few minutes of basking I sit her in her food dish and she goes to work. Then finishes up basking and continues her activities, climbing and roaming until she calls it nap time.

Sally

Status
Not open for further replies.