Basking light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anna_garcia

5 Year Member
Hi I'm Anna, I'm from the Philippines, I have two yearling sulcatas, I was wondering if they still need a basking light even if the weather here is 80-90F? Their substrate is grass, they have a humid box and I mist them three times a day and let them out in the garden every morning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Anna:

Welcome to the forum!!

I think your tortoises would benefit from having a light of some sort over their habitat when they're not outside. Because they get lots of outside time, with the real sun, I think you can just use a regular light bulb...not one of those new spiral kind, but one that puts out some heat. And place it over one end of the habitat. Just a place for the tortoises to go to warm up if they want to.

anna_garcia

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Anna:

Welcome to the forum!!

I think your tortoises would benefit from having a light of some sort over their habitat when they're not outside. Because they get lots of outside time, with the real sun, I think you can just use a regular light bulb...not one of those new spiral kind, but one that puts out some heat. And place it over one end of the habitat. Just a place for the tortoises to go to warm up if they want to.

thanks!!! I actually have a uvb and basking light for them, I'm just worried they might get too hot because the temp on the warm side is 90F and the basking spot is 105-110F but I watched them today they seem to like to hang around on the warm side and go home to the cool side at night, stupid question i guess hehe:D. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.