Is my light ok?

I have recently upgraded my tortoise light system to a mvb light bulb. I have since installed it and it is about 5 inches away from the tortoises shell is this ok? Should it be further away?image.jpg

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Check your temps and see how high they are. You may want it a bit further away, as it can be extremely intense at just 5" away. I usually mount MVBs at least 6 to 10" for my basking lizards; tortoises do not need it quite as hot and do better with a bit of a larger basking area.

-Jen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I would make it higher. That is quite close and will possibly burn the top of your torts shell.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree. There should also be plenty of room for him to get out of the heat and cool down a bit. Can we see the inside of the enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What does the manufacturer recommend? Most are 18", so you need to go MUCH higher. Start there and then check your basking temps. You might need to adjust it up or down a little based on temps.

That is an awfully small enclosure. What have you got in there?

I don't think this enclosure is too small as my tort is a small hermanns at the moment, ignore the newspaper as it is for medical reasons:)image.jpg

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
I'd raise the light at least a few more inches, but it is probably fine otherwise.

-Jen

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Why don't you use a substrate? Is your tortoise ill? Dirt is better of living on than newspaper :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
We're going to ask about those medical reasons because we have a lot of experience contradicting vets' advice.

The soil sand mix I was using as substrate was slated because according to the vets it was irritating my tortoise eye, causing an ulcer, I disagreed but, I just had to do anything that would help:)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The recommended distance of the bulb from the tortoise will be listed on the literature that came with the bulb. I believe ZooMed PowerSun states it should be 12 inches away from the surface. Also I like moist coir as a substrate, especially for hatchlings, and they have had no eye problems. I do not mix sand in with the coir as sand can be an eye irritant and cause impaction.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Sand has been a known eye irritant and I don't recommend any sand at all...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with your vet about the sand/sand mix. I've seen that myself many times.

What is the basking temp directly under your bulb? That will determine if your bulb and fixture is at the correct height.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you need a higher wattage bulb, or it needs to be moved closer. Or you might need to double check your temps with a temp gun or another thermometer.

How cold is the ambient in that room? I can't see how you could only be getting 85-90 out of an MVB that close. Something seems off somewhere.

It
I think you need a higher wattage bulb, or it needs to be moved closer. Or you might need to double check your temps with a temp gun or another thermometer.

How cold is the ambient in that room? I can't see how you could only be getting 85-90 out of an MVB that close. Something seems off somewhere.

It's now 12 inches away?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right, but I think something is wrong somewhere. It should be MUCH hotter than 85 degrees directly under a 100 watt MVB at a distance of 12". I've had to run those farther than 18" away to keep temps under 100.

So is your thermometer off? Or in the wrong place? Is the bulb lower wattage than we think it is?