Levi the swimming leopard

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
It's been hot here in Oregon. Really hot. Like SoCal hot...I thought I left SoCal? Anyway... I set up a kiddie pool for the kids and at the end of the day, just before draining it, I decided to test the "tortoises can swim" theory. ;)

I plopped Levi into the water and he sunk like a rock exhaling a stream of bubbles! Oh no! Sorry Levi... :rolleyes:
I tried it again but this time I held him for a moment before letting him go. I'm guessing he kept the air in his lungs this time cuz he floated just fine. Then he swam. Yep, Levi can paddle his cute, scaly legs and swim! It was awesome to watch.

0630151536.jpg

0630151536a.jpg

0630151536b.jpg

I took a great video. High resolution and some good paddling going on...But I have no clue how to upload it LOL

Maybe my low res "textable" version will upload. It's not as good but it's something. Let me try it..
Nope. Didn't work..lol

At least you can see some pics :D :cool:

Stay cool!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
its been TO hot here tomorrow is 108 followed by 2 day's of 109 and im in the middle of building a new out door enclosure lucky me

i tried the swimming tortoise once to he sank i grabbed him pretty quick lol

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes. Why is that? Some will swim and some sink like a rock?

My unprofessional guess is that Levi expelled his air the first time and that's why he sank. Once he knew what was coming and I held him a minute before letting go, I think he held his breath or at least held air in the lungs which made him more buoyant.

Same tortoise, same pool of water. He sunk then swam.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
How cool. I was always curous if they would swim if you had a pond in the yard. Bet that swim was refreshing for him!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Great pictures :) such a nice looking tort. Michigan weather just BLOWS!!!!!! It's crappy, cold, rainy, I'm so done with it. I'd move to another state in a heartbeat, not the hubby though. Last summer was awful and this summer has been dreadful too. I can't wait to snap some outside pictures of my torts. Just vented...feel better now :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My unprofessional guess is that Levi expelled his air the first time and that's why he sank. Once he knew what was coming and I held him a minute before letting go, I think he held his breath or at least held air in the lungs which made him more buoyant.

Same tortoise, same pool of water. He sunk then swam.

I agree with your theory. They have to intentionally inhale and hold enough air in their lungs to remain buoyant.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks like he really enjoyed it too. I see some bubbles by his back end, did he poop before his swim was done? Usually those butt bubbles mean mine are ready to poop. I like the pic with him looking like he's going for the floatie. He's got good form going there:D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It's been hot here in Oregon. Really hot. Like SoCal hot...I thought I left SoCal? Anyway... I set up a kiddie pool for the kids and at the end of the day, just before draining it, I decided to test the "tortoises can swim" theory. ;)

I plopped Levi into the water and he sunk like a rock exhaling a stream of bubbles! Oh no! Sorry Levi... :rolleyes:
I tried it again but this time I held him for a moment before letting him go. I'm guessing he kept the air in his lungs this time cuz he floated just fine. Then he swam. Yep, Levi can paddle his cute, scaly legs and swim! It was awesome to watch.

View attachment 136867

View attachment 136868

View attachment 136869

I took a great video. High resolution and some good paddling going on...But I have no clue how to upload it LOL

Maybe my low res "textable" version will upload. It's not as good but it's something. Let me try it..
Nope. Didn't work..lol

At least you can see some pics :D :cool:

Stay cool!

Love it!!
I miss Levi updates and pics!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
We are pretty toasty up in Eugene too. We've got the mister running constantly.

My torts have been hiding out all day and then driving me insane for the cooler evening hours. Vern (my larger redfoot) has been taking long walks and keeping me on my toes because he is finding the best hide-y holes. At least the little girl doesn't get very far very fast so when she's out I can sit down and work for a few minutes before she gets too far.