Lets See Your Stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Oh very nice!

Which types of stars are those?

Did I understand right in that some Stars are naturally pyramided? Are they like this in the wild too then?

Thanks for clarification!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Those are southern. Yes they naturally pyramid, but its not like captive pyramiding, its more like a raised hump. Take these for instance. These are pure southern Sri Lankens breeding a few days ago, they have more smooth bumps and not really stacked pyramids. BTW my male seen here is in paradise breeding with these lovely girls.

Oct15th2012-3.jpg

Oct15th2012-2.jpg

Oct15th2012-1.jpg

I love the second photo. She going "at least its her this time and not me". haha For my males name being Pegasus he sure does show a manly side. Hes a real go getter when it comes to breeding.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
tortadise said:
Those are southern. Yes they naturally pyramid, but its not like captive pyramiding, its more like a raised hump. Take these for instance. These are pure southern Sri Lankens breeding a few days ago, they have more smooth bumps and not really stacked pyramids. BTW my male seen here is in paradise breeding with these lovely girls.

I love the second photo. She going "at least its her this time and not me". haha For my males name being Pegasus he sure does show a manly side. Hes a real go getter when it comes to breeding.

I LOVE those photos! :D

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Below are some of the Indian Stars the group of us at theTurtleRoom have worked with. Among them are animals belonging to Benjamin and those belonging to our partner, Joshua at TurtleTowns.com. I work regularly with Joshua and his animals, and some of his stars were animals hatched by Benjamin.

With no further ado:

Indian-star-hatching.jpg

2012-0803-hatchling-indian-star-01.jpg

2012-0803-hatchling-indian-star-03.jpg

2012-0803-hatchling-indian-star-05.jpg

2012-0803-hatchling-indian-star-06.jpg

2012-0803-hatchling-indian-star-08.jpg

hatchling-Indian-stars.jpg

2011-1102-juvenile-G-elegans-01.jpg

2011-1102-juvenile-G-elegans-02.jpg

G-elegans-group.jpg
Note: this picture was taken during the building of a new setup. We'll actually be adding a wet/dry filter to this system sometime this winter.

Indian-star-feedingtime.jpg

Indian-star-nesting.jpg

Indian-star-05-nesting.jpg

All these pictures and a couple more from TN Aquarium can be found over in our Indian Star Gallery

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
theTurtleRoom said:
Below are some of the Indian Stars the group of us at theTurtleRoom have worked with. Among them are animals belonging to Benjamin and those belonging to our partner, Joshua at TurtleTowns.com. I work regularly with Joshua and his animals, and some of his stars were animals hatched by Benjamin.

With no further ado:

Note: this picture was taken during the building of a new setup. We'll actually be adding a wet/dry filter to this system sometime this winter.

All these pictures and a couple more from TN Aquarium can be found over in our Indian Star Gallery

Ok cool :cool: You guys sound like a nice little group :cool:

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
945010DSCN2518.jpg

408164DSCN2519.jpg

This is my 2 little stars after 2 months at home.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Kelly, as far as breeding goes, do you have a lot of success in TX? Do you have a monsoon season?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
theTurtleRoom said:
Below are some of the Indian Stars the group of us at theTurtleRoom have worked with. Among them are animals belonging to

Nice group you got there!

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
theTurtleRoom said:
tortadise said:
kathyth said:
These are all gorgeous!
How big do they get?

Burmese will get 12"
Sri lanken females 13" sometimes bigger
Sri lanken males 8-9"
Indian females 12" sometimes bigger
Male indians 8-10"
Radiated 16" sometimes bigger

I don't typically see the Indians get that large. I'd say they stay a good 3" smaller than that on average.

The best way to distinguish Indian and Sri Lankan is Weight!

I have not seen any Indian Star tortoises Female are more than 5.5Lbs. Generally, Indian star is around 4 lbs. Male Indian star is just about 1.5 lbs.

Sri lankan, at least 7 lbs for female and 3 lbs for male.

So weight your Sri Lankan star and then you will know if you have True Sri Lankan.

So far, From my experience, I have seen 2 diff kinds of Indian and 2 diff kinds of Sri Lankan. Unfortunately, there are so many crosss breeding Indian * Sri Lankan in the US.

I will post some pic, next time,

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Have question. Are star torts supposed to be smooth or are they bumpy. Or are they the same as any other tort with pyramiding?.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
mainey34 said:
Have question. Are star torts supposed to be smooth or are they bumpy. Or are they the same as any other tort with pyramiding?.

Generally, stars in the Sri Lankan locality are believed to be more "bumpy" than localities from southwest India and northern India/southern Pakistan. This isn't always the case. In the wild, I believe that the shell structure of the stars depends on a wide variety of factors such as humidity, water, microclimates, food and its seasonal availability, and soil minerals (wet soil has less calcium content than dry, desert soil).

tickle

5 Year Member
Here's my 2 incher from tortoise supply he has the #45 on hus back.I love him and tortoise supply is top notch ow its shri lankan not Indian such hot colors for a outstanding price with perfect delivery.hope u like him

Attachments

• 1120121206a.jpg
    1120121206a.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 1121121124a-1.jpg
    1121121124a-1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.