Let your conscious be your guide

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Zenni uses AI for their customer service! Can you tell? No, it's not the language nuances....

Hi Jeff,

We are very sorry about your experience with this order. We remade glasses #414012 for you and the order number is # o60178209**. And we will rush the new order and send glasses to you as soon as possible.

Casey H. | Customer Service
Good morning Casey,

I'm not sure I have confidence that they will do it differently this time but I have a local appointment setup for the 25th to get glasses. If Zenni can get me a real pair by then, I will cancel the appointment. If not" then a refund of my credit card would be in order.

Fair enough?

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. We have checked the attached pictures and concerning your case, we can remake the glasses at no additional cost for you. Would you like that?

Casey H. | Customer Service
Happy 4th!

I bought these glasses just before a trip to Jamaica. I was happy they arrived in time but as soon as I removed them from the green plastic case and tried to open them, a lens popped out. Even the white buffing compound still covering the lens! No QC?
There was very little ridge to capture the frame but since the screw was already stripped by the assembler, I had no choice but to pop it back in. Of course that didn't last. As you can see, the lens wasn't even cut properly to fit the frame.
My last pair from Zenni lasted 6 years, these didn't make 6 minutes!
How do you guys want to handle this?

Know what AI means? LOL....free automatic replacements! For me, it means no muss no fuss.

All these firms that use AI for it have to program in a level of actionable service that will homogenize the complaints: "1 solution to cover 95% of complaints". That solution is ALWAYS to "replace" on complaint. I talk to these guys on line, the guys who do this stuff....it's nearly universal in the application approach.

Here's where ethics step in.......

There are a lot of folks buying very expensive items and getting two.........because they know this. I read their comments too online.

It's ALWAYS cheaper for the company to replace than to accept returns. Many on line retailers are buried in "returns" to the point where Walmart was going to just dump them all in a hole and Target(for whom we are completing their Return center outside DC) was going to tell folks to "keep it"! They know what will happen though................

As I said, let your conscious be your guide......

"The MO you know"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know a few people that will, if they haven't already, take big advantage of the "just keep it" policy
I personally don't like it. Before I caught onto the fact they will do it every time, I had a couple damaged items i received. No big deal, just needed a leg on one item, second item was a chair with stool, the stool was damaged.
They were purchased about a year apart. When called about the first one, I asked if they could just send another leg. I didn't need the whole thing replaced. They said no problem and sent a whole new set. When I called them, that's when they said keep it, donate it, throw it out, do whatever I wanted.
The next time, they told me not to return it ahead of time. I told them to please just send the one item, not a total replacement like what happened before. They acted like they would. They sent a whole new set. The set was two chairs and two stools. Too nice to just throw away and I don't have the room to store them until I figured out what to do with them. I don't understand their policy and in my situation it is an added nuisance. Luckily most online places I do shop at, don't use that policy.

EricW

Houston, TX
Economy is driven by mass consumption.....make cheap stuff so you can sell more.....it breaks....makes trash as not recyclable....we pay more for cheap stuff to make up for it.....the cost of transportation is one of the highest cost of the goods.....we pretty much pay triple the cost of what the products should be sold for due to paying for the inefficiencies of the whole supply chain (including overly paid and overly staffed corporate offices), we pay more because we want cheap stuff, etc. Increased traffic on the roads moving all these returns, trash, cheap stuff. etc. Which is very costly to the environment and out tax dollars.

I used to buy cheap polo style shirts for $10, they lasted a year. Now I buy polo style shirts for like $80 and they last 8 years. Cost of the shirt works out the same in my pocket book, but I save with time. Less time shopping, ordering, dealing with additional shirts, etc. So I still save. However, that $10 shirt should really cost $3. The rest of that cost is spent dealing with the volume of shirts sold, returned, trashed, etc. Our massive supply chains are marketed as making things cheap, when in reality it is making things expensive. Someone has to pay for all that transportation to move all that volume and stock these massive warehouses. I guess it helps keep jobs 🤷‍♂️

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hate to just boycott handmade things from other poor countries for some kind of political reason. Some of it is so talented and cheap. US dollars mean a lot to them. The thing I worry about the most is are they getting a fair wage. And if I don't buy it will they make a living at all.

EricW

Houston, TX
I hate to just boycott handmade things from other poor countries for some kind of political reason. Some of it is so talented and cheap. US dollars mean a lot to them. The thing I worry about the most is are they getting a fair wage. And if I don't buy it will they make a living at all.
I am all for a global economy and such. But it is amazing how much waste is out there and we are paying for it.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
But Eric, is it really "waste" or just the fact that everyone has to get their grubby hands into the chain?

So, not to play semantics but isn't it "bloat"?

LOL

I'm just playing.....because as you know, you'll find the most ingenious ways that folks find a way to glean a living by hanging on to an established point of interest or industry. By contrast to how we see things, "share the bread" is how THEY see it.

Most of the stuff that I see that folks are stealing via AI is furniture....online, overseas furniture is a free for all. W saw some of it. They don't worry if it matches what they sent you previously, they just send a whole chair!

We all know the drill; Habib makes widgets for 3 cents apiece overseas. We are paying $76.99 for it and it fits in your hand so a million of Habib's little widgets fit in one C container.
Habib lives & survives, but someone else in the supply chain lives in a nicer home than yours!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
But Eric, is it really "waste" or just the fact that everyone has to get their grubby hands into the chain?

So, not to play semantics but isn't it "bloat"?

LOL

I'm just playing.....because as you know, you'll find the most ingenious ways that folks find a way to glean a living by hanging on to an established point of interest or industry. By contrast to how we see things, "share the bread" is how THEY see it.

Most of the stuff that I see that folks are stealing via AI is furniture....online, overseas furniture is a free for all. W saw some of it. They don't worry if it matches what they sent you previously, they just send a whole chair!

We all know the drill; Habib makes widgets for 3 cents apiece overseas. We are paying $76.99 for it and it fits in your hand so a million of Habib's little widgets fit in one C container.
Habib lives & survives, but someone else in the supply chain lives in a nicer home than yours!
Years ago the globalization created a new work cheat. Hardwood would be harvested in the US and shipped over seas to be made into furniture then sent back to the US to sell. Some accountant figured out they save 5 or 6 dollars per piece even with import taxes.

EricW

Houston, TX
Years ago the globalization created a new work cheat. Hardwood would be harvested in the US and shipped over seas to be made into furniture then sent back to the US to sell. Some accountant figured out they save 5 or 6 dollars per piece even with import taxes.
I think Canada still does this quite heavily. The whole trade imbalance or debt, however you want to look at it.