Leopards in Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EamonP

5 Year Member
Hey Everybody,

I read a few times that Leopards 'slow down' in Winter. I know they don't hibernate, just slow down. I'm just curious as to the extent of the slow down. I've noticed for the last few weeks my tort has started sleeping alot and eating seldomly and very little when she does.

During the Summer she had respiratory infection, but she is long over that and this doesn't seem to be the same. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I've heard that also. I moved mine into a pen in the garage since the outside temps are staying below 60 now. They have significantly slowed down and spend a lot of time sleeping in the warm hide area.

So I'd say it is a normal thing whne the temps drop.

EamonP

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, at least I'm not the only one who has noticed something! How do you find your tort's eating habits at the moment?

Anybody else have a opinion on this also?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
They have definitely slowed down in activity and eating now. I think they can sense the temperatures outside somehow because it is staying in the 60's in the garage and the 70's in their hide. They only seem to come out now to eat a little and then go hide again. Definitely not their usual routine.

We're supposed to get some snow in Houston today, perhaps they can sense that! :)

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
Greg T said:
They have definitely slowed down in activity and eating now. I think they can sense the temperatures outside somehow because it is staying in the 60's in the garage and the 70's in their hide. They only seem to come out now to eat a little and then go hide again. Definitely not their usual routine.

We're supposed to get some snow in Houston today, perhaps they can sense that! :)

hi this slowing down in winter is due to light intensity.once they are warmed up see how they react outdoors on a sunny winter day.as long as they are warmed through they should graze for a time.also if you increase your lighting indoors they should become more active.
terry

Hunter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My boy slows down as well and eats less. My home is always kept above 70 degrees and he goes into and out of his pen whenever he wants (I made a door for him). Inside his pen he has a heating pad and two heat lamps. Its a 6 by 6 enclosure.

Dave D

10 Year Member!
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Both of mine seem to have slowed down a little bit. Aside from sleeping a little more then usual they are still quite active during the days.

Dave

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two adult females and a 4 year old. Their shed is heated but they have a vinyl strip door, and can come and go as they please. Last winter all of the Leopards came out and grazed all throughout the winter, even on the coldest days. This year, the largest female (I've been fostering her for the last two years because her owner has moved to an apartment) has parked herself in a corner and hasn't moved for over a month, while the other two still come out and graze every day. I asked the gal who raised the tortoise from a hatchling what she used to do with the tortoise during the winter months and she told me that she just let her have the run of the house, but the tortoise usually found a corner and stayed there all winter.

I have heard that depending upon where in Africa they originally came from, some leopard tortoises go through a semi-hibernation period, while others, from warmer climates, do not. This seems to hold true.

In my opinion, if the tortoise wants to stay in a corner and not move, I just let them. They aren't burning calories trying to stay warm, like a mammal does, and they aren't moving around and burning calories, so chances are they won't lose too much weight.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tank is "parked" in his heated corner of his outdoor shed, only moving around a little on the days that have some sun. I don't like it because I miss him and worry about him, but he seems fine so I'm leaving him alone. I brought Bump inside two weeks ago because I kept finding him in the coldest corner of his outdoor shed and it was freezing outside. I think even though he's over 8" he is better off inside with us. This is the first winter I've had more than one tortoise inside so its been an interesting change to my daily chores and entertainment. Crash has given up trying to hibernate (Yay!) and Moose cruises his/her enclosure a few times then naps most of the late afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.