adult leopards not very common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie1210

5 Year Member
I noticed on the forum that there appears to be many people posting pics of their baby tortoises, but doesn't seem like there are as many people posting pics of their adults. Additionally, looking at online sites where ppl post their torts for sale, they rarely post adult leopards for sale, and instead only hatchlings. Are the adults just more rare? If so, why are there so few people keeping adult leopards? Not to mention that when I read the ads, they say things like "adult leopards are harder to come by these days" or something to that extent.

I'm wondering because I don't see this with sulcatas--people commonly sell larger sulcatas.

Any ideas?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
jamie1210 said:
I noticed on the forum that there appears to be many people posting pics of their baby tortoises, but doesn't seem like there are as many people posting pics of their adults. Additionally, looking at online sites where ppl post their torts for sale, they rarely post adult leopards for sale, and instead only hatchlings. Are the adults just more rare? If so, why are there so few people keeping adult leopards? Not to mention that when I read the ads, they say things like "adult leopards are harder to come by these days" or something to that extent.

I'm wondering because I don't see this with sulcatas--people commonly sell larger sulcatas.

Any ideas?

Maybe because people just don't know how to raise leopards and sadly they don't make it to adulthood. But people on here have them just say: hey everyone I really want to see some adult leopards so why not post pics of them! thats all. Hope I helped ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jamie1210:

No, there are quite a few adult leopards here on the forum. I have two, Neal has some...its just that the baby-keepers are newer members, and its usually the newer members who post pictures of their tortoises. I have posted pictures of mine, but it was quite a while ago.

01-27-12leopards-5.jpg

01-27-12leopards-1.jpg

01-27-12leopards-2.jpg

DSCN5530.jpg

DSCN5531.jpg

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Good question. There are a few of us on here with adults, but many more with babies. Will most of those babies become adults, probably. Probably, most of the big breeders just aren't interested, or don't have the time to get involved here. They are probably satisfied with their husbandry methods, and aren't looking for any new ideas or willing to share theirs.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
emysemys said:
Hi jamie1210:

No, there are quite a few adult leopards here on the forum. I have two, Neal has some...its just that the baby-keepers are newer members, and its usually the newer members who post pictures of their tortoises. I have posted pictures of mine, but it was quite a while ago.

Wow nice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, there are more sulcatas because they get larger then leopards and can be destructive and the people didn't do their research before getting them. I think there are a lot of adult leopards out there, even some for sale on different sites. People just don't get rid of them as often as sulcatas. The hardest to find are leopards that aren't hatchlings. A year old or older are hard to find for sale. When they are for sale, they seem to go fast.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Yeahp wellington said it best....many people want a large tortoise...but don't do their research first so they look at the sulcuta and the leopard....3rd largest or 4th largest is all they think about. Then they say well heck this turtle will get bigger and it's only 50 dollars....why not. Little do they know that such a beautiful animal can be so destructive. Thus i must insist that leopards are the shiz nix :p

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have 5 adults and 2 sub adults (not to mention 3 babies!) :)

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Here is my adult male Pardalis Babcocki High Yellow.
img_8168.jpg

312630DSCN1133.jpg

260459DSCN1137.jpg

241213DSCN1158.jpg

I will get an adult female in about 2-3 weeks, i will send picture of her as soon as possible.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Julius25 said:

I will get an adult female in about 2-3 weeks, i will send picture of her as soon as possible.

Are you going to breed them?

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I started a thread called "let's see your leopards". There are quite a few adults posted in it along with the babies. I think some else started a thread for adult tortoise pictures not to long ago but I can't remember who.

netz67

5 Year Member
u.k
Julius25 said:
img_8168.jpg

312630DSCN1133.jpg

260459DSCN1137.jpg

241213DSCN1158.jpg

what a stunning shell , so smooth , how old is this tortie <3

acrantophis

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi jamie1210:

Great looking leopards!

yagyujubei said:
Here's an adult:

Very cool tortoise!

jamie1210

5 Year Member
Thanks for the pics and info, guys!

I was wondering why there did not seem to be many adult leopards being posted because I was almost afraid that they have a high mortality rate or something when they reached a certain age! Glad to see this is obviously not the case though :) Will have to post pics of our tortoise family soon! We have 3 leopards (the oldest is only about 5-6 inches long), 2 sulcatas and 2 aldabras.

Status
Not open for further replies.