Leopard tortoise progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
So I'm a little worried about my baby Leopard. :-/ I've had Midas since August 20 and he was about 2" long when I first got him. and it seems he's only grown an inch. He's active, he eats, poops. But he's just not growing :-/ His diet is Weeds and Grass. With occasional fruit for a treat ;) But I don't see much progress. He was born April 2012. Right now he's stuck in a tank inside but as soon as it gets warm I'm building him a outdoor enclosure. He's 3" Long and 2" wide 1 1/2" tall. I don't have a scale to weigh him :-/ I don't know what to do :-/ He's Babcocki by the way. Should I start him on a more Mazuri based diet? Please help :( I'm worried and want him to grow up to be a big strong tortoise. Anyone may feel free to comment with their opinion . Here's some pics:

Attachments

• image-4242390917.png
    image-4242390917.png
    1 MB · Views: 84
  • image-1883853265.png
    image-1883853265.png
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • image-1906546601.png
    image-1906546601.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 106

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Leopard tortoise proggres

Not that this has anything to do with growth, most likely, but fruit is not really recommended to feed. Other then that, all torts grow at their own pace. I tried Mazuri with mine when he was around one or a little older and he never took to it until he was closer to two which he will be in March. You can try it, but it still should only be fed once or twice a week a little. Maybe see if you can add other things to his diet, like cactus, hibicus, rose of Sharon, if you have winters and no outside growth, maybe a few grocery greens. If he's able to go outside and graze, then add more natural things like the things listed above. Otherwise, if he is fine in every other way, do t worry about it. Slow growing is a good thing.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
RE: Leopard tortoise proggres

wellington said:
Not that this has anything to do with growth, most likely, but fruit is not really recommended to feed./QUOTE]

I feed him fruit like, once a month.

wellington said:
Other then that, all torts grow at their own pace. I tried Mazuri with mine when he was around one or a little older and he never took to it until he was closer to two which he will be in March. You can try it, but it still should only be fed once or twice a week a little. Maybe see if you can add other things to his diet, like cactus, hibicus, rose of Sharon, if you have winters and no outside growth, maybe a few grocery greens. If he's able to go outside and graze, then add more natural things like the things listed above. Otherwise, if he is fine in every other way, do t worry about it. Slow growing is a good thing.

He actually loves Mazuri and will eat it anytime I give it to him.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Mine was also hatched in April 12'

I have had to learn not to compare growth. There is a set of siblings as a prime example. Zamric has Eros and another member has.."z" i think its called.. Anyway they are clutchmates with huge differences in size. But both are well cared for.

Id recommend you get a scale because its nice to track weight. Just in case, ya know..

But i wouldn't worry that yours is still small. Keep doing everything right and he will grow just fine

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
As has been said I wouldn't worry much about growth rate as long as you're doing everything right and it's healthy.

Mine is a beast at 6 months, but I could get another tort that grows at half the rate. We've seen it here many times even from the same clutch.

One thing I've been wondering about people with slower growing torts. Do you do much handling? That's one thing I haven't done yet aside from soaks. I know it causes stress to the animal, and stress can also have physical effects.

Then again that may have absolutely nothing to do with it. Just a thought.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Oh that pretty little baby will grow when it's supposed to....I just love the way those little leopard hatchlings look!!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tortus said:
One thing I've been wondering about people with slower growing torts. Do you do much handling? That's one thing I haven't done yet aside from soaks. I know it causes stress to the animal, and stress can also have physical effects.

Actually, I hardly ever handle him :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not to worry. Information I read from Richard Fife said that 2-4 inches a year was normal growth. If yours grew 1 inch in 6 months then that falls within the normal range. You should really get a scale for weighing though. You want to know that his weight gains are steadily increasing (and its just fun watching the grams go up, LOL).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortus said:
As has been said I wouldn't worry much about growth rate as long as you're doing everything right and it's healthy.

Mine is a beast at 6 months, but I could get another tort that grows at half the rate. We've seen it here many times even from the same clutch.

I don't think that handling them has much too do with it, unless of course your tort is stressed. I handle mine every day, from the second week I had him. He's not stressed at all and he will be two in March. His weight as of today is 1 pound 14 oz. after his big poop in his soak and he is 6 1/2 inches. He always has food available and always has. They all do grow at their own pace. Also the babcocki's grow slower then the paradellis.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I think he looks great! They grow at very different rates.....the best comparison is with my little zuri and eros his clutch mate. There is over a pound difference between them. If he is active and eating then you are doing a great job :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
jesst said:
I think he looks great! They grow at very different rates.....the best comparison is with my little zuri and eros his clutch mate. There is over a pound difference between them. If he is active and eating then you are doing a great job :)

Ok I'm just worried :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.