My new baby leopard tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsandco

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370967665.659860.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1370967684.907515.jpg

New leopard 6months old. Picked him up Saturday he seems more bumpy then when I viewed him a month ago. I'm trying to keep him as humid as I can. He's eating loads an very lively. He weighs 48grams he seems quite small to me. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
He is cute. Where did you get him from?

How do you plan on raising him? I love the results of the humid way. :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
He looks good, lots of new growth there. He's doing well so far, that is just slight pyramiding because of growth. Follow the humid plan and he'll be fine.

ulkal

5 Year Member
He is cute!
I had the same- dry started, small and a bit pyramided at 6 months old.
Adopted the humid way and the new growth is coming smooth.
You will be fine :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How was he housed for the last six months? When they are housed dry, they tend to grow very slowly. 48 grams is pretty small for a 6 month old. The shell looks pretty good. Keep him hydrated, give him a humid hide, and you should be okay.

debsandco

5 Year Member
I got him from a breeder. He was housed in a viv but on rabbit pellets and kept very dry. I have been soaking him everyday and spraying his housing, he has got a humid hide. Is it ok to fed him as much as he wants. I have been feeding him weeds. Thank you for all your replies, just want to make sure I am doing the best for him. I have called him Norman (or Norma later if he turns out to be a she!)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always try to feed enough so mine has food left over for later on snacking. My leopard will eat in the am. Then if he gets outside, he will come back in later and eat some more. He will always eat again after a soak.

dar64

5 Year Member
I have 4 ranging from 25-32 grams. They are suppose to be between 4 and 5 months. I was thinking mine are too small.

I have a question for whoever can help. I don't know if Tom is on this thread. Is it possible too many rich grocery store greens (not lettuce) can cause the shells to soften. I am doing everything right. Could this be causing an issue. I'm now trying to mostly give mixed lettuce with timothy or orchard hay that has been wet mixed in. They mostly eat the lettuce but will pick a bit at the wet hay. I also am starting to cut bermuda grass for them when they aren't outside. It is very hot here in Arizona right now

debsandco said:
New leopard 6months old. Picked him up Saturday he seems more bumpy then when I viewed him a month ago. I'm trying to keep him as humid as I can. He's eating loads an very lively. He weighs 48grams he seems quite small to me. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I would feed him as much as he wants now. Leopards will eat in the morning and later afternoon since that coincides with the cooler temps they would see naturally. He'll walk away when he gets full.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
debsandco said:
I got him from a breeder. He was housed in a viv but on rabbit pellets and kept very dry. I have been soaking him everyday and spraying his housing, he has got a humid hide. Is it ok to fed him as much as he wants. I have been feeding him weeds. Thank you for all your replies, just want to make sure I am doing the best for him. I have called him Norman (or Norma later if he turns out to be a she!)

Bingo. And Tom said this first off, the very dry part ... spot on. : )

hot+humid=happy+healthy needs to be hollered y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.