Leopard tortoise has cold?

burdbiljo

Location (City and/or State)
Friendship, Wisconsin
Hello all! My 3 yr-old leopard tortoise has snotty nose, even blows bubbles sometimes. When he sleeps, makes a whistling noise. I am under the impression he has a respiratory infection. I’m in a very rural area with very limited resources and cannot find a herpetologist anywhere near me. Anyone have any suggestions for treatment at home?

Attachments

• 7D50FA70-D2BD-4464-BB5E-62900D54CD87.jpeg
    7D50FA70-D2BD-4464-BB5E-62900D54CD87.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
What are the basking and ambient temperatures? Is the discharge thick and cloudy?

Bathe him in Luke warm water daily and keep temps high.

burdbiljo

Friendship, Wisconsin
I’m not sure about the discharge- somewhat thick and pale yellow, I guess. He’s very shy, so it’s hard to get a good look at his head. Temps range between 75-85 degrees- he sleeps in a room that’s about 75 degrees

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I’m not sure about the discharge- somewhat thick and pale yellow, I guess. He’s very shy, so it’s hard to get a good look at his head. Temps range between 75-85 degrees- he sleeps in a room that’s about 75 degrees
I’m afraid that does sound like a respiratory infection, if it was clear perhaps it could of been due to low temps. You will need a visit to a exotic vets ASAP. I would go to the closest one near you if that’s possible.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
80f is fine for an ambient but your tortoise needs to bask in 95-100f, plus if your dealing with a respiratory infection you should not let any part of the enclosure go below 80f

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they are showing signs of a respiratory infection you need to bump the temp up over 85 24/7. I'd let ambient temp rise into the 90s during each day. Soak daily during these warmer temps to prevent dehydration. Keep temperatures high like this until two weeks after symptoms disappear, and then begin to lower them gradually. 75 is too low. Keep the tortoise no lower than 80 day or night.