Leopard tortoise growth rate

nupek

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I know that tortoise growth rate may be very individualistic matter, but I'm getting a bit worried about my leopard. He is currently 3.5 years old and weight around 2070g (as measured today). However he has this weight since good three months and before we saw a steady weight gain. We measured weekly and observed gain almost any time. Currently his diet compromises a variety of grass and weeds, with some endives and sometimes opuncia pad. He leaves inside. A big portion of food given in the morning is always cleared 2-3 hours later. Sometimes we give another portion in the evening. When there is no food, he resolves to constant walk in search of food, possibly also due to boredom. When he gets tired, he sits in a heated pool for some time and then continues to walk. He poops regularly and his health otherwise seems excellent. Should we provide as much food as he wants? Should we consult a veterinarian or is it too soon? How big portions of food do you provide to your dessert tortoises?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Hi nupek,

Well, to answer your title question: Their growth rate varies tremendously due to a multitude of factors.

You say your guy is 3 and half and still lives indoors? May I ask why? Where in the world are you? I'm a big fan of the older/larger guys living outside where they can graze naturally and exercise appropriately.

I never restrict food as long as it's the "good stuff" (grass, weeds and cactus are in the "good" category) and they have proper space to roam.