Growth Rate

sbwalker5

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
I have a quick question about the growth rate of my baby marginated tortoise. He is 7 months old, and we have now had him for 4 weeks.

After one week he weighed 30g.
The following week he was 35g.

I had read various things online. One saying you can overfeed, and you should aim for 3-4g per MONTH! I was a bit worried about this, so cut his food down slightly.. However I have also read that 100-500g a year is fine (which would allow for nearly 10g per week)

The couple of weeks after that, he has then weighed 38g, and today he is 44g!

Is this fine? Or would it be advisable to cut his food down slightly?

Various online formulas don't seem to apply to baby tortoises (if I put his dimensions into any of these, he comes up as underweight)

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of us agree to feed baby tortoises in general as much as they want too eat. Most of us will feed enough that there is some left over the next morning. Be sure they have a big enough enclosure to get some good exercise too. Also remember, they all will grow at their own pace and some will have growth spurts and then also slow down spurts.

sbwalker5

Sheffield, UK
Thanks. I tend to give around enough to cover his shell, twice a day, which he usually gets through most of.

He has a 4 by 2 foot enclosure, which I'm guessing is plenty big enough for him (he's only 2 inches long!). I place a few little bits of food around different place too, so he has to walk to get it! Although the rest of the time he does seem to bask, rest and sleep a lot!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It used to be thought that restricting food intake would simulate what happens in the wild and cause them to grow smoothly. We now know this is wrong and you can let them free feed as long as they are hydrated and their enclosure is set up correctly.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would let him eat as much as he wants, just make sure he has a good space outside for sun and excercise. Sometimes I dont feed my torts so when they get out they go straight for the grass and weeds and eat that.