Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2012
Messages
4
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

Hi Neal.

would like to ask about ventilation. do Leopard Tortoise need a good ventilation in their enclosure? coz i'm currently thinking of a design for my LT's enclosure and would want to consider all the important matter like ventilation and humidity.


regards,
archie
 

Neal

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
4,941
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

I never concern myself with ventilation. When I used the plexiglass over the indoor housing tubs, there were gaps between the lamp fixtures where air could get in and it seemed to be enough. Now that I use open top enclosures I don't consider ventilation at all.
 

[email protected]

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2012
Messages
4
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

Neal said:
I never concern myself with ventilation. When I used the plexiglass over the indoor housing tubs, there were gaps between the lamp fixtures where air could get in and it seemed to be enough. Now that I use open top enclosures I don't consider ventilation at all.

thanks for the response, Neal.
 

thanja

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
16
Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

Thanks for this informative thread, I will be using it for my leos. But would it be possible for u to post sum pics of ur indoor enclosure so I can get a little idea about how to build it or just to get sum inspiration. Another thing, could one build it as a 2 storey enclosure with railings to protect them from falling down or would that be a stupid thing to do?

Thanks in advance :)
 

jtrux

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2012
Messages
1,070
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

"When they are not able to get outdoors, I use a 100W Powersun Mercury Vapor bulb as the only source of lighting in the enclosure. Any type of UVB emitting bulb will be sufficient in my opinion as long as it is not a coil type bulb which have been known to cause blindness and other health issues in reptiles. "


So what you're saying is that the Powersun Mercury bulb will provide enough UVB in an indoor enclosure or do you provide a seperate UVB emitting bulb as well?
 

Neal

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
4,941
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

jtrux said:
So what you're saying is that the Powersun Mercury bulb will provide enough UVB in an indoor enclosure or do you provide a seperate UVB emitting bulb as well?

I think it will be just fine, but for extra insurance, you might want to take them outside whenever possible.
 

pennyw

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
90
Location (City and/or State)
north carolina
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

dmarcus said:
That is cool, we need a care sheet for all tortoises and turtle, this puts it one step closer...

we need one for golden greeks.. is there one on the forum?:)
 

DesertGrandma

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
2,131
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

pennyw said:
dmarcus said:
That is cool, we need a care sheet for all tortoises and turtle, this puts it one step closer...

we need one for golden greeks.. is there one on the forum?:)

You would need to look under "Mediterranean Species" and "Greeks" and ask this question. Maybe you could post there to ask for a care sheet, or someone can direct you to the right place.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top