Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

b@rtcichlid

5 Year Member
RE: Leopard Tortoise Care Sheet

Hi Neal.

would like to ask about ventilation. do Leopard Tortoise need a good ventilation in their enclosure? coz i'm currently thinking of a design for my LT's enclosure and would want to consider all the important matter like ventilation and humidity.

regards,
archie

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona

I never concern myself with ventilation. When I used the plexiglass over the indoor housing tubs, there were gaps between the lamp fixtures where air could get in and it seemed to be enough. Now that I use open top enclosures I don't consider ventilation at all.

b@rtcichlid

5 Year Member

Neal said:
I never concern myself with ventilation. When I used the plexiglass over the indoor housing tubs, there were gaps between the lamp fixtures where air could get in and it seemed to be enough. Now that I use open top enclosures I don't consider ventilation at all.

thanks for the response, Neal.

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark

Thanks for this informative thread, I will be using it for my leos. But would it be possible for u to post sum pics of ur indoor enclosure so I can get a little idea about how to build it or just to get sum inspiration. Another thing, could one build it as a 2 storey enclosure with railings to protect them from falling down or would that be a stupid thing to do?

Thanks in advance :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX

"When they are not able to get outdoors, I use a 100W Powersun Mercury Vapor bulb as the only source of lighting in the enclosure. Any type of UVB emitting bulb will be sufficient in my opinion as long as it is not a coil type bulb which have been known to cause blindness and other health issues in reptiles. "

So what you're saying is that the Powersun Mercury bulb will provide enough UVB in an indoor enclosure or do you provide a seperate UVB emitting bulb as well?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

jtrux said:
So what you're saying is that the Powersun Mercury bulb will provide enough UVB in an indoor enclosure or do you provide a seperate UVB emitting bulb as well?

I think it will be just fine, but for extra insurance, you might want to take them outside whenever possible.

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina

dmarcus said:
That is cool, we need a care sheet for all tortoises and turtle, this puts it one step closer...

we need one for golden greeks.. is there one on the forum?:)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona

pennyw said:
dmarcus said:
That is cool, we need a care sheet for all tortoises and turtle, this puts it one step closer...

we need one for golden greeks.. is there one on the forum?:)

You would need to look under "Mediterranean Species" and "Greeks" and ask this question. Maybe you could post there to ask for a care sheet, or someone can direct you to the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.