Leopard Tort

Jenn16

Hello So I was originally considering getting a russian tort, but after a lot of research and information I have developed quite a liking and fascination with Leopard Tortoises. Do you think that a Leopard Tortoise would be a good choice for a beginner? I have read the care sheets available on the forum but it is always good to have professional advice! I have ample room for one. Also do you suggest after getting a tortoise to take it to a vet to be checked right away or only if there are signs of any issues?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn:

I think a leopard tortoise would be an ok choice. Were you thinking about a hatchling? If so, be sure to read and take to heart the care sheets for baby leopard tortoises. They are basically the same care as a bigger tortoise, but are much more fragile and not as forgiving of poor care.

We have some folks here on the Forum selling leopard tortoises. Take a walk through our 'for sale' and 'sold' section to find them.

OOps! I just remembered you're in Canada. U.S. can't ship tortoises to Canada, so you'll have to find someone up there in the frozen north.

Jenn16

Thank you for the input and yes I definitely want to provide the best life for the little tort that I end up getting!

mikeh

5 Year Member
In case of hatchlings, it is important to confirm how the hatchlings were started. The once not started correctly and with proper hydration, housed in bone dry conditions may appear healthy but there is some chance of them not making it couple months down the road, we all have seen it here on the forum, even if everything you provide is a ok.

If you decide for leopard, Id send a pm to "Will", one of the very experienced members here. He may still have some yearlings listed in the for sale section from couple months back. If you search for sale section you will find the add with great pictures of the animals. Some of the nicest, well started robust yearlings or so I have seen and at more then reasonable price. If I was looking for another one leopard, those sure would be my first choice.

Yearlings are also less fragile then fresh hatchlings, making it a safer beginners choice. Something to consider.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Jenn
Your going to house it in doors a leopard tortoise is the 4th largest tortiose in the world ! Do you have that much room in the house ? Good luck with your choices .

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hi Jenn,
I'm a Canadian with a Leopard tort. It's a big investment, but they are fabulous "little" friends and the time, effort and cost doesn't really matter when you see your little one growing and thriving into a big beautiful tortoise.
I'm in ON and right now my yearling who weighs 406grams is housed in a 5'x3'x3' enclosure. In summer he will have outdoor accommodations in an enclosure in our backyard and will use the indoor enclosure for nights.
I'm working with friends in the trades to create a room off my basement living room that is going to be a tort paradise. It includes a ceramic floor with heat, multiple levels for climbing. Lots of hiding and burrowing room and a misting machine. As I said, lots of effort and expense, but it's worth it :)
Good luck with your search. Be careful with kijiji ads, I always start asking very direct questions with regards to how the parents are fed and housed and what the general care of the babies has been. I have only found one breeder that I was considering purchasing from cause it appeared they were doing it right. However I decided I didn't have the funds or room for three, and two is a no no, so Benny is solo. I think he likes it that way though.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Jen
Thank you for your patients . And I hope you understand my consern but you look like you have it covered . Goodluck