Leopard hatchling substrate

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a nice moist mix of ground sphagnum peat moss and ground coconut coir. I was planning to top it with a layer of chunky bark, like reptibark it or his bark? Which is better? I bought 2 bags of orchid bark but can easily take it back. I also bought a bag of dry long fingered sphagnum moss. Do I just wet it and stick it in a humid hide?ImageUploadedByTortForum1383972452.246888.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383972534.859136.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help you with that. I don't like bark, specially for hatchlings/little ones. Sometimes it pokes them. The first time that happened, I stopped using it. I always used only coconut coir and still only use that or dirt.

Of course when he goes outside is shed, he has grass, weeds and flowers and some flat flag stones.mine is 2 1/2 years,

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383973412.424792.jpg
Doesn't look incredibly pokey but I'd hate for that to happen! It sure does smell good. Who knew?! Haha

And will this dry moss work if it's moistened or do I need to find a live source?

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think your plan with the bark on top sounds fine. Give it a try. You'll soon decide of you like it or not.
Using that moss, wet in the hide is fine too.