Substrate for a Large Indoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

aclesi11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded by baby sulcata's indoor enclosure from a large storage bin to a 6 foot by 2 foot wooden enclosure. I have laid down the tarp and am now ready to fill it with substrate.

In his previous enclosure, I used coconut coir as well as moist sphagnum moss in his humidity hide. I would also keep the coconut coir fairly moist.

It looks like it will cost a fortune to fill such a large enclosure with coconut coir. What is a cheap substrate i can use to fill his new enclosure?

I have heard that cypress mulch is cheap. If I use cypress mulch, will this be too dry for a baby sulcata? Or is it okay as long as he still has a humidity box with moist sphagnum moss?

Thanks!

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
Get some organic top soil from your local garden center. And it will also be good for humidity burrowing and live plants. I filled my Greeks 12 by 6 with 4 bags of 50 quart top soil for about 15$

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My local hardware stores/garden centers sell the coir pretty cheap. If I remember correctly it's 9cu ft or so for $10 or $12.
Or just use plain, untreated top soil that has no additives in it. For $2 I buy a 2cu ft bag.

Sent from my TFOapp

aclesi11

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Also, what is the proper maintenance on a tortoise enclosure? Daily, I remove any uneaten food and poop from the substrate. How often should it be changed?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Substrate for a Large Indoor Enclosure

aclesi11 said:
Also, what is the proper maintenance on a tortoise enclosure? Daily, I remove any uneaten food and poop from the substrate. How often should it be changed?

I just replaced mine for the first time in a whole year. Doing the daily maintenance is great, too.

Sent from my TFOapp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most garden center sell big huge blocks of the dehydrated coir for about $12.

However, I like to use fine grade orchid bark for larger sulcatas. I get mine at Lowes for about $4-5 per 2.0 cubic foot bag. You'd only need one bag for that size enclosure.

I spot clean my enclosures and only replace the substrate when I am going to move a new group of tortoises into that enclosure.

aclesi11

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
ascott said:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_26986-1803-0082_0__?productId=3029472

This comes in a rather large helping and it is like 10. or 11. bucks..it works really well ...

I decide to go with this for my new enclosure. I am really pleased with it as far as retaining moisture etc, but it has added a really strong earthy odor to my house. Have you also experienced this? Do you think the smell will eventually dissipate?
I never had this problem with using coconut coir in my last enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.