Leopard Factory

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My "leopard factory" deposited 10 eggs in the ground back in May, and during the first week of September all 10 of them hatched! I received this female Babcock leopard from a school teacher in Cincinnati back in August of 2010. Someone had left her in a box outside the teacher's school room door over a week-end. The box had the tortoise and several cut up green apples. The teacher went online looking for someplace that she could take the tortoise, and found my web site. She and her fiance took a road trip when school let out, and drove the tortoise all the way from Cincinnati to California. Evidently they had wanted to take a vacation trip to California and this gave them a good excuse.

Cincinnati has been a good producer for me. She lays three clutches of eggs a year. Most of the eggs in the clutch hatch, but only a couple times have I had 100% hatch.

My male is the first leopard egg I ever hatched (of course, not related to Cincinnati), and I kept him for that reason. He hatched during my ignorant period, and he was raised on alfalfa pellets. Besides being pretty pyramided, he's stunted, at about a third of the size of the female. But he gets the job done. I've seen a few of the babies from this pairing at about two years of age, and when raised right, they are beautiful tortoises. The fact that their parents weren't raised right makes no difference at all in the way they grow and develop.

leopard male & female a.jpg leopard male & female b.jpg

This is a picture of my current babies. Some are a week old, some are a day or two old. They start eating on their own, with no help from me, at about two days:

leopard babies 9-8-16.jpg

Looks like there's one with an extra scute. I'll have to go check that out (the one upper right at 1 o'clock??)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was much closer, wish they would have found me:(. Although that would have been hard, I try to hide:D
Unbelievable that a leopard would just be dumped. A hard to come by female no less. Lucky for you she was. If you ever need a home for her, I'm needing another female. We might have winters but I go above and beyond for my torts;):D

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Cool to see @YvonneG . I'm hoping my females kick it into gear soon.

Did you have luck with the PP eggs your PP female laid?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
My city's new city manager came to us from Cincinnati. I shared this with him. He liked. I would so love a tortoise conservation and education center over here by Disneyland! Where is Eric Goode when I need him?

Those babies, Yvonne! Lovely little babies.
I have Eenee, Meenee, Minee.
Thank you Kathy and Lynda, Chino CTTC!
And no Mo.
No mo. No mo. No mo.

Not easy, right? All y'all leopard crazies out there. Looking at ya. Winking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cool to see @YvonneG . I'm hoping my females kick it into gear soon.

Did you have luck with the PP eggs your PP female laid?

The first clutch was not fertile. Still waiting on three more in the cooker. Two of them don't look good, but the third does.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Beautiful babies. Do you diapause the eggs? (Is that the term?) I'm referring to a cooling period. I don't know much about leopard eggs, isn't a cooling period a must for leopards?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know much about leopard eggs, isn't a cooling period a must for leopards?

It is a must for the South Africans, but not usually for "regular" leopards. The problem is that the regular leopards tend to be mixed with SA leopards and each other, so in practice, a diapause usually increases hatch rates.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Beautiful babies. Do you diapause the eggs? (Is that the term?) I'm referring to a cooling period. I don't know much about leopard eggs, isn't a cooling period a must for leopards?

No, not for the species in this thread.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
SOOOO cute!!! I want one so badly. I believe leopard tortoises have the cutest babies I have ever seen. They are so fat looking. (Don't tell my Russian I said so). ;) Congratulations!

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
It is a must for the South Africans, but not usually for "regular" leopards. The problem is that the regular leopards tend to be mixed with SA leopards and each other, so in practice, a diapause usually increases hatch rates.
Oh okay, thank you