Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have three babcock and two pardalis. The one little male babcock was the first leopard egg I ever hatched, so I decided to keep him. I did a terrible job raising him. He's very pyramided. He's around 4 years old and weighs 5lbs.

One of the females really belongs to a friend of mine. She used to be a reptile-keeper at our zoo, but she retired and moved into an apartment. She asked if Tortelini could come stay with me. Tortelini weighs 26lbs.

The other female came to me from Cincinnati, OH. The gal who brought her to me was a school teacher. She went to school one Monday morning and discovered a cardboard box in front of her class-room door. The box contained a handful of green apples and a tortoise. No note or explanation. The school teacher went online and found my rescue web site, and she asked me if I would be interested in taking the tortoise. This was about a month before the end of the school year.

She and her boyfriend were planning a vacation out to California, and instead of flying, they decided to drive out here and bring me the tortoise. She's a young babcock and she's done quite a bit of growing in the 5 or 6 years that I've had her. She weighs 23lbs.

So, here's my babcock family. Tortelini is on the left, but the sun was so bright on her that I moved her over to be in the back of the group. My little male is on the left side of Cincinnati.

6-13-11leopard-2.jpg

The contraption in the back is where I keep my pardalis babies.

6-13-11leopard-3.jpg

Then, I have two pardalis babies that I got from Tom last year. I don't know their age, but they're probably close to a year old. If you compare the upright board, which is a 2x4, to the baby, it looks like he's about 4" long:

6-13-11pardalis-1.jpg

Man-o-man...can these babies eat. They are so much like sulcata babies. I put a big mound of food down every morning and they clean up every speck of it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
These are great photo's Yvonne. In the first photo, I thought that Tortelini was a rock because of the sun shinning then I read what you wrote and looked again...:D:p

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Very nice family.

What type of food do you put out for the babies? It looks like they have plenty of grass & weeds to munch on in their enclosure.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I love seeing the pics of where you keep your tortoises. Do you have to mow the grass or do they keep it eaten down? What is the vine (?) growing in with the babies? Very nice tort family. I appreciate that you are always so helpful and knowledgable.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Awesome pics Yvonne...do you know an age or approximate age for the two larger females Tortellini and Cincinnati? And I don't think your 4 year old looks all that bad, I think my four year old is pyramided a little worse than that...:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OllieInAZ said:
Very nice family.

What type of food do you put out for the babies? It looks like they have plenty of grass & weeds to munch on in their enclosure.

I planted a garden this year, with 4 rows of different lettuces and collards. The seeds were a mixture similar to Spring Mix. My rows are about ...well, what the heck. I'll just go get a picture of it for you. BRB...

6-13-11garden-2.jpg

6-13-11garden-1.jpg

And just because I was there with my camera, here's my manure pile with a volunteer squash plant. The individual leaves are appx. 1' across. Biggest plant I've ever seen! But then, its a banana squash...they do grow pretty big:

6-13-11volunteersquash.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DesertGrandma said:
I love seeing the pics of where you keep your tortoises. Do you have to mow the grass or do they keep it eaten down? What is the vine (?) growing in with the babies? Very nice tort family. I appreciate that you are always so helpful and knowledgable.

I have to hit it with the WeedEater about twice a month. The most obvious plant in the baby habitat is chia. It comes in the grazing tortoise seed mixture from carolinapetsupply.com.

jeffbens0n said:
Awesome pics Yvonne...do you know an age or approximate age for the two larger females Tortellini and Cincinnati? And I don't think your 4 year old looks all that bad, I think my four year old is pyramided a little worse than that...:(

When Mary brought Tortelini to me about 4 or 5 years ago I think she told me that she was 20. And Cincinnati is a bit younger than that.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Great pictures Yvonne! Thanks for sharing them. I love seeing how you have so many different set ups! Plus I love your pond!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Torty Mom said:
Great pictures Yvonne! Thanks for sharing them. I love seeing how you have so many different set ups! Plus I love your pond!

That pond refurbish turned out so good. I'm very happy with it. I'll go get some pictures and put them up in the pond section.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
gotta luv yer leo's Miss Yvonne.....great stories too boot! ;)

JD~:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice pictures of the tortoises and gardens.

How well does the lettuce grow there? I always thought lettuce type plants were cool weather loving, but Last year and this year I've been growing romain, mustard greens, and spring mix and it grows like crazy here. Even in the middle of summer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It grows great, but am just starting to realize that you really can't keep harvesting the tops, day to day, and expect it to remain sweet. I tasted some yesterday because the tortoises didn't seem too interested in eating it, and it was pretty bitter. I go out there every a.m. and cut off about 4" of the tops of the plants to feed the tortoises. The plants keep growing, because their main goal in life is to go to seed, but yuck! So I guess it was a big waste of time. The babies eat it because they don't have access to anything else. The big tortoises all have access to graze, so if its bitter, they don't eat it. I'm really bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.