Leopard baby help please!

Mayne

Hello,
I acquired a baby leopard tortoise about two months ago, who is around 5 - 7 months old now. His shell started becoming soft and he became almost lethargic like, isn't very active, doesn't open eyes much and is eating less and less each day. When I first noticed the symptoms (1 1/2 weeks ago) I began soaking him in a mix of water and liquid vitamins. I noticed an improvement almost immediatly but, now he seems to be going downhill again. I'm not sure what else I can do for him, any suggestions?

He is kept indoors in an aquarium, due to the extreme weather of the desert and his size. He weighs 26 grams and is 2 inches. His habitat is maintained with a herpstat pro which manges a 50 uvb light tube which is the length of his habitat. Also he has a heated bottom that maintains a tempeture of 83 during the day and then drops to 80 at night. There is also a 100 wat ceramic heating bulb that is kept at 95 during the day and 90 at night. I try to maintain half of his cage at a 30% -50% humidity.

You can see in the photos he has a hiding spot a water dish and a food bowl that always has grassland pellet type food (he never touches it), throughout the habitat I dispurse fresh food that changes weekly, this week he is eating a mix of bok choy, kale, romain, and watercress. I used to use a dry calcuium with d3 every other day, but I found that he wasn't eating his food with the dry vitamins so I have switched to liquid and he seems to eat it, when he eats.

I try to get him outside as often as I can, usually only a couple hours a week. He gets daily soaking of about 15 - 30 mins and lately with the added liquid vitamins. His shell has gotten harder but, not completely, his belly is the softest area. He has lost about 2 grams in weight this past week. Any ideas on what I can change or how to better treat him? Let me know if I missed anything, and thank you in advanced for the help. I'll try to attach photos in a message below, my iPad won't allow me to.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is he getting enough uv light requirements. He's a little light for his age. Perhaps he didn't have the best care previous to you getting him.

— Gus

Mayne

Yes, that is him as my avatar that's from when I first acquired him. Before I had him the owners were using a coil uvb bulb, that I noticed he avoided all the time, that's why I switched to the tube lighting so he can't avoid it. He would also only stay on the cool side of the tank where there was no heat, so that's why I also put the under heating. He's a bit strange. He never uses his hide away either he just likes to stick his head in the corners and sleep.

For his substrate I switched to coconut fiber, the previous owner was using aspen bedding. He was also only fed "pretty pet" food before me.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Looks like your keeping him in good conditions. Try to aim for no lower than 85F. To keep his immune system up. Perhaps the damage initially done is just too much for him.

— Gus

Mayne

Okay, I will up his temp to 85, thanks for your input Gus.

Mayne

I'm disappointed, I can't upload any photos from my iPad or iPhone, I'm assuming it's because of the recent update. I'll try from my computer.

Mayne

Thanks for the app suggestion, works amazing! The photos I attached are of his current setup and him, sleeping as usual.

Mayne

Thanks for the article Gus, hatchling failure is what I've been assuming is going on with him. We shall see what this week brings for the little guy.

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Baby food soaks would give him some nourishment if he is not eating well. Maybe put a couple of fake plants inside to give him some feeling of security, something to hide behind.

Mayne

After trying everything possible, he past away yesterday. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.