Help! Something wrong with my sulcata!

smorales

My sulcata has a white dot in his left eye.. He was kinda sick about a week ago but I gave him flukers liquid vitamins and he got a lot better in a few days. He does eat and move a little slower than before though. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404874321.822194.jpgI just noticed the white dot today.he doesn't open that eye as wide as the other one either. What is it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can't see what you are talking about, can you try to get a pic of his eye and the white spot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, that pellet substrate is the worst you could use. Please change it out for coconut coir and get the humidity upto 80% with temps no lower then 80 day and night. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising and housing your sulcata.

smorales

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404874780.475778.jpgthis is best pic I can get he keeps moving. He also seems to keep itching that eye

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you using a coil-shaped compact fluorescent bulb? If so, turn it off immediately. Those bulbs cause a painful condition similar to snow-blindness.

Buy some eye wash from the pet store:

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Ouch! :( for your finger and tortoise! I would listen to their advice. Just try to fix her living conditions, if nothing becomes better then I would probably go to the vet... :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You didn't answer me about the light.

No, Turtle Eye Clear isn't a suitable product for your tortoise's eyes

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

smorales

Sorry but no I'm not I don't even have a fluorescent bulb for him. I just have a heat lamp and heating pad. He gets an hr of sun everyday

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Is your light UVA/UVB? It's really important to their health… or is it one of those heat only bulbs?

smorales

It's a heat bulb only. It's one of the new energy saving ones that
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404999819.629351.jpg last a really long time

M

Maggie Cummings

He needs UVB light to process his food. You are keeping him too dry as he needs about 80% humidity. No spiral bulbs of any sort. Can he stay outside for 3 or 4 hours a day, with access to shade? That will help. Open his eyelids and give him a squirt, Yvonne will follow thru and tell you what else to do. I would soak him daily in strained carrots for about 20 minutes. You need a better substrate, one that you can keep damp. Rabbit pellets used to be popular for a substrate but then we discovered they were hard to walk on and caused a condition called 'splay leg', plus you can't keep them moist and humidity is so very important for your baby. You can use coir bought at a pet store or top soil that doesn't have any additives in it. I use orchid bark. Don't use sand as that mixes with the food and causes impaction. Hang in with us and you'll get all kinds of advice to help your baby...

smorales

Yes he can. Like baby food carrots? I already changed it out for the brick soil that expands with water from Petco.