Length of time for lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
If my tortoises are asleep by 6pm, they always are, should I leave the light on until 8pm anyway as it comes on at 8am & this is only 10 hours a day they are awake & accessing the light.

This is not very clear, sorry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My lights are on a timer. I turn the timer off while he is outside. I bring him in around 6p.m. and I turn the timer back on. It goes off at 8. He is usually in his hideout right after I bring him in. So he has about two hours that lights are on, but he has already tucked himself into bed. That's just what I do. See what others say. I don't think it matters much, whether you turn it off or leave it on.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tort has gone to bed, turn the lights out and save your electricity bill. There's no point leaving them on!!

Leave the heat on the normal timer cycle.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
wellington said:
My lights are on a timer. I turn the timer off while he is outside. I bring him in around 6p.m. and I turn the timer back on. It goes off at 8. He is usually in his hideout right after I bring him in. So he has about two hours that lights are on, but he has already tucked himself into bed. That's just what I do. See what others say. I don't think it matters much, whether you turn it off or leave it on.

Thanks for this :) Mine is on a timer too & I turn it off when they go out. I'm still putting them out even though the weathers not too warm (in the UK)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe is out 24/7 in the UK. He has a kennel for sleeping in overnight. The heat lamp in it is on for just 3hours in the morning to get him started.

Status
Not open for further replies.