Lemon balm,

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
When I was out setting up my summer day encloser, I have to set it up every summer, Winter seems to be hard on my yard, I noticed some lemon balm growing in the area, I love lemon balm, it's amazing herb, however I have this and peppermint growing near the area, so before I put all of it out, are these safe for my redfoot to munch on, I am excited to have these new herbs growing, but not sure if there safe to keep near the day encloser

ZenHerper

New Jersey
For a tort with good health, and being kept in optimal temperatures, the mint family is OK. Omnivores, like RFs would be fine.

Strong flavors may be off-putting, so many torts pass.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Okay thanks, I honestly don't think she'd munch on it, but I can't say she won't, and herbs like mint and lemon balm are hard to keep out, being that there so invasive, I want to be sure,

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yeah, just make sure the entire diet is as varied and complete as possible. Then its just a matter of being certain that hydration and the digestive system is optimized. I personally suspect a lot of cases of plant toxicity are more a problem of restricted choices and poor ability to metabolize the harsher chemical constituents.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Yeah, just make sure the entire diet is as varied and complete as possible. Then its just a matter of being certain that hydration and the digestive system is optimized. I personally suspect a lot of cases of plant toxicity are more a problem of restricted choices and poor ability to metabolize the harsher chemical constituents.
I do feed a lot of different things, but have to admit, this has changed from the past, I always done fruits and veggies, and mixed greens, and calcium , but and weeds when warm here, but lack of good advice, till lately, I kinda of had a limited type of greens, I now have added zoomed pellets, and dried fruit, and flowers add on, so she has a great mix now, but hasn't always been the best, sadly I thought I had it right, and had good advice, but I didn't, I learned how much better her diet needed to be after I joined, so hopefully when it's warmer weather here, she be in perfect shape, she's alot happier now, and has grown a little, but this just maybe a growing spur, her growth has never been a problem, so I think I just thinking it's the increase in a better diet,