Legos(*trademarked) turtle dock?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Okay, now- don't laugh...well, go ahead and laugh! I know it's odd.

I am mechanically challenged in regards to building things. Jacques NEVER uses his basking platform and I noticed the ramp leading onto it is at a pretty awkward angle for him, and it shifts, too. I don't know if that's why he's not using it. It occurred to me to try building a broad-based tower out of Legos* and setting the platform ontop.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
:p:p:p

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you don't mind cleaning them and if he can't pull off the individual bricks I think it might work...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the only thing I was thinking about is the coloring to the use for the bricks. Paint? Taxi? Or what? Since there for kids I sort of doubt its toxic

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I'd just be careful with the edges, as I'm sure we all know how sharp legos can be!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Definitely will work if you like the look...
I don't care for the look at all, but this tank seems so small (20 gal) that it's hard to make it both functional AND beautiful! :p
NEXT YEAR I hope to have a 40 or 50 gal tank for him, which will leave me more room for other options.
Right now I just want him to be able to bask comfortably and easily when he wants to.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This was my plan for one of my indoor turtle tanks.

Pvc pipe legs with plastic egg crate secured to the top to make a platform. This platform should rest a few inches under the surface creating a shallow ledge. Then, place the basking material (stacked flat stones or some driftwood) on the platform with enough of it out of the water to remain dry. Make sense?? It won't look hideous and the pvc legs could be easily disguised with decor. Plus the shallow ledge should allow for a more natural way to climb up onto a basking area.

Here's a quick doodle, hopefully it helps LOL
0216161525.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This was my plan for one of my indoor turtle tanks.

Pvc pipe legs with plastic egg crate secured to the top to make a platform. This platform should rest a few inches under the surface creating a shallow ledge. Then, place the basking material (stacked flat stones or some driftwood) on the platform with enough of it out of the water to remain dry. Make sense?? It won't look hideous and the pvc legs could be easily disguised with decor. Plus the shallow ledge should allow for a more natural way to climb up onto a basking area.

Here's a quick doodle, hopefully it helps LOL
View attachment 165366
Great idea!!!! :) Wish I had read it BEFORE going out an buying another platform...:(
I may still give this a try and save the other for later (I already had it in his tank, briefly, so I can't return it).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I may be wrong, but I thought mud turtles didn't climb out of the water. ???

I was basing my thought on this, that I read many years ago:

They use the grass as a ladder to reach the top. A key point is that in captive enclosures hatchlings are a drowning risk & should be started out in very shallow water. The Breeder (who has a # of outdoor ponds & many muds) said his adults don’t spend a lot of time on land (although they appear there occasionally) but sun themselves by climbing up on floating water hyacinth. Shawn Learmont once told me muds are not very good swimmers. A group he had and bred were collected in Florida, where he said adults can be found year round in no more than 3 inches of water, right in a ditch on the side of a somewhat busy road.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have not kept Mud turtles, but do keep a few species of Musk. I know the Musk do not need to get out of the water and any basking they do is by hanging in plants at the surface. I read of Musk basking on overhanging logs, but have never seen my musk out of the water except to lay eggs.

I have always heard/read Mud turtles are a bit more inclined to get out to bask, and it is normally recommended from what I've seen, that a basking platform be provided. But, again, I do not have personal experience with Muds.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I may be wrong, but I thought mud turtles didn't climb out of the water. ???

I was basing my thought on this, that I read many years ago:

They use the grass as a ladder to reach the top. A key point is that in captive enclosures hatchlings are a drowning risk & should be started out in very shallow water. The Breeder (who has a # of outdoor ponds & many muds) said his adults don’t spend a lot of time on land (although they appear there occasionally) but sun themselves by climbing up on floating water hyacinth. Shawn Learmont once told me muds are not very good swimmers. A group he had and bred were collected in Florida, where he said adults can be found year round in no more than 3 inches of water, right in a ditch on the side of a somewhat busy road.
Thanks for your input Yvonne!:)

I mainly wanted Jacques to have an easy way to TOTALLY haul out of the water if he ever wants to.

Despite tons of research, I've gotten conflicting information on Mud turtles basking. It seems some bask, but many NEVER do.
Jacques is about 2.5 inches long, and I keep the water in his tank at 5 inches deep. I've also got lots of plastic plants that he does indeed use as ladders! He's SOOOOO cute when he does that! :p He can also stand on tiptoe and poke his nose out of the water, and has several acrylic "rock" ledges he likes to sit on and can easy stretch his head just a little bit to get a breath.
He seems to like the new platform I got him- mainly because it's a cave with a roof that pokes out of the water on the slant.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have not kept Mud turtles, but do keep a few species of Musk. I know the Musk do not need to get out of the water and any basking they do is by hanging in plants at the surface. I read of Musk basking on overhanging logs, but have never seen my musk out of the water except to lay eggs.

I have always heard/read Mud turtles are a bit more inclined to get out to bask, and it is normally recommended from what I've seen, that a basking platform be provided. But, again, I do not have personal experience with Muds.
Thanks, Mark!
I just wanted to be sure Jacques has the opportunity to easily haul COMPLETELY out of the water if he ever wants to. He does not seem remotely interested in doing so, but at least the opportunity is there!:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Here is Jacques peeking out of his new cave/basking platform. He seems to LOVE his cave, and his suddenly MUCH more confident and active!
He hasn't tried to climb up on the basking part yet, but I'm not worried at all: even if he NEVER does, it's available should he want it. :)

IMG_9014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That looks great Bea and looks like Jacques thinks so too!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks Mark, Lyn and Teamgomberg!
Yes, I much prefer the natural look too! :)

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
He's so freakin cute! What substrate do you have on the bottom of the tank?