Legislation: Should We Be Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
I was recently reading a NYT piece about possible legislation pending to further regulate the keepeing of exotic wildlife. In the wake of the recent tragedy in Zanesville, Ohio there seems to be a renewed interest in tightening the rules regarding what we can keep/breed.

In these sorts of articles/discussions, there's a lot of talk about preventing people from keeping big cats, bears and other more traditional zoo animals as well as reptiles like monitors, large constrictors and crocodilians. Fair enough. What disturbed me the most was a recent interview I read with Jack Hanna, the famous director of the Columbus Zoo. He basically said that private keepers have no right to keep any exotic animal in their home. I couldn't help but wonder how far a blanket statement like that could be taken.

What are other tortoise keepers' opinions on this subject? I only keep one tortoise, a yearling leopard. I suppose most would consider it to be exotic considering it's potential to attain a large size and being a reptile. I can't see most tortoises being injurious or dangerous, but it sounds like the language is going to be pretty broad and absurd if major change comes.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
A lot of my opinions concerning impending legislation and how it may affect tortoise keepers can be found in these two threads:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-RED-ALERT-Vote-No-on-FWS-Python-Rule-Change#axzz1jUcg1nK2

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-USARK#axzz1jUcg1nK2

-----------

In short, even though fundamentally I agree that in terms of being "dangerous to public life," tortoises are probably low on the list compared to giant pythons, crocodilians, venomous snakes, big cats, etc., I do feel some species could present a potential threat to the environment as invasive species. That may be the angle some of these lawmakers take if they want to broaden their scope.

I know I harp on this a lot, but remember that HSUS and PETA are not our friends in this. These "animals rights" groups do NOT want anyone owning pets that are not conventional (i.e. not cute and fluffy and cuddly), and they'll do whatever they can (with the money that misguided people still donate to them) to achieve this goal. These are the groups that are whispering in these lawmakers' ears.

That's why I encourage EVERYONE who owns herps, whether its tortoises or snakes or frogs, to stay on top of these legislative activities and that it is in your best interest as a reptile keeper to oppose them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is always easier to go after the exotic animals first, then they will slowly come after the others. Look at the smoking laws in california. First it was restaurants, then bars now gonverment buildings, then public places, then beaches now it is anywhere within 25 feet of a building, now if you have children you can't even smoke in your own car. The easier stuff ie: the dangerous or exotic stuff is always the first to go, then the others follow.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
It is always easier to go after the exotic animals first, then they will slowly come after the others. Look at the smoking laws in california. First it was restaurants, then bars now gonverment buildings, then public places, then beaches now it is anywhere within 25 feet of a building, now if you have children you can't even smoke in your own car. The easier stuff ie: the dangerous or exotic stuff is always the first to go, then the others follow.

Serious? CA has a law so you can't smoke in your own car, if children are there????

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Jacqui said:
dmmj said:

Serious? CA has a law so you can't smoke in your own car, if children are there????
So does Arkansas.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
A broad statement like that was stupid on his part at best.

I think Dangerous Exotic Animals should require some sort of license or permit or training and zoning should be made to keep these animals out of typical neighborhoods.

But in all reality how many people suffer from dog bites and attacks compared to exotic animal attacks, much less wild tortoise attacks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
dmmj said:

Yes and so does Illinois. I am not sure but Illinois may have been the first to do this. Whoever it was, others are following.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
Jacqui said:
dmmj said:
Yes and so does Illinois. I am not sure but Illinois may have been the first to do this. Whoever it was, others are following.

What a stupid law, not stupid because I can see the reasoning (the possible health risks to children), but taking away the rights of people. If they are finally being so willing to publicly stand up for how bad smoking is, then why not just ban them completely? Slowly it sounds like the US is losing being a nation of the free, to a nation under the complete rule of the government. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.