Leaving tortoise out in the rain.

Plumber07

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake VA
I live in coastal Virginia, I have a sturdy outdoor mesh covered pen. Is it okay to leave a Russian tortoises in the rain or should I just not put him out that day? Or how much rain is okay?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
make sure the pen drains well and is fairly level. I would thing one day of rain would be fine. its the temperature drop when its raining that you would want to keep an eye on.

Plumber07

Chesapeake VA
make sure the pen drains well and is fairly level. I would thing one day of rain would be fine. its the temperature drop when its raining that you would want to keep an eye on.
So as long as the pen stays well drained? He has a hide to go into and I put it on the highest area on the property. Lately even with all the rain the temperatures are in the mid 80s low 90s.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely just Make sure the pen can’t flood (or fill up) but I can tell you your tort will love the rain, especially given the high temps this week. I know our Sully is outside and LOVES those thunderstorms. Happy Dance time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you have a suitable indoor enclosure, my preference is to bring the tortoise Inside.

Having said that, all of my adults live outside with heated shelters. They usually hide out in these during rainy days, but we only get rain in winter and its cold rain. My juveniles and babies don't go outside on cold rainy days.